Removing a shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

VinnyinNJ

Reaction score
I am waiting for the plumber to come tomorrow to remove the shower base and rough in the plumbing but was wondering if it is a simple task to remove the shower base?

It's a 40 year old fiberglass base and I took the drain cover (screen?) off and it looks like it is a metal pipe with a metal flange where the cover indent is. I didn't see any ridges or notches on the flange to put a screw driver or anything else to unscrew it. I did try to lift the base but it seems that it is stuck and nothing is holding it onto the studs as far as I can see so I am assuming that the drain is holding in place.

I'm not planning on playing with it too much but figured if it's simple maybe I'll take it out as well. The main waste pipe is cast iron, I don't know how this is connected and I don't want to cause any unforseen problems.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumber will have no problem removing the base.

Normally there is a space right under the drain.
The pan can be cut around the drain, the pan lifted up, and then the drain taken off.

Or he may be able to remove lead that is hold the pipe to the drain.
Either way, it's not going to take much time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks