Removed fiberglass shower pan to find crazy drain hole

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Pnutgirl, May 26, 2020.

1. Pnutgirl

Pnutgirl New Member

I removed a fiberglass shower pan today on a slab. Crazy foam underneath and what appears to be an unusually large hole for the drain. Couple of questions.... should the hole be this large? There is like a tar substance and some sort of felt in there too. Any suggestions on how to correct this before installing a new pan? Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It's pretty common to have a hole that size under a shower with a concrete floor. The p-trap is installed last and you need some room to make that happen.
    Most pans are set in mortar now if they need support to keep from rocking. It depends on how flat the surface is that you're working with.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  4. Pnutgirl

Pnutgirl New Member

Thanks for your insight. I am thinking of filling this hole with concrete. Thinking of putting a 4" diameter sleeve of pvc around the drain and then filling/leveling subfloor with concrete. Then set the new pan in morter as necessary. Does that seem like a good plan? Thank so much for replying!

Last edited: May 26, 2020