Removed a water softener system

Users who are viewing this thread

firefly2790

Reaction score
I recently moved and the new house has a Kinetico Model 50 water softener. I believe it is 8 or less years old and I know it was not cheap to buy and have installed. Our city water is high quality and I don't like the taste of softened water so we removed it. Are there issues with it sitting (full of water) for a period of time while I try to sell it? Is there a better way to prepare it for storage? Any tips on trying to sell a water softener system? The system has two tanks, softener valve assembly, bypass valve, and brine tank. I left the prefilter on my water system. Thanks!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of the most simple ways of getting the water out of the tanks if the tanks are going to be in an area that could freeze would be to unscrew the head on each tank, run some like a 1/2 tube down the center pipe and siphon out the water from inside each of the tanks, then screw back on the heads to each of the tanks.

firefly2790

Reaction score
Could not remove the head on either tank as they are either in there tight or don't come off. I am hesitant to put tools on the plastic parts. Any ideas?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Large strap wrench could work.

I have used a very large channel locks on some in the past, but with EXTREME EXTREME CARE..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks