Remove water ring on toilet with CEFIONTECT finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Toto Ultramax II toilet with the CEFIONTECT finish. I've been gone for 2 months and now have a water ring in the bowl. I'm looking for suggestions how to remov the ring without being harsh on the bowl surface.

Thank you

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
vinegar , CLR maybe is the finish particularly weak? I have a 22 year old TOTO that is stubborn I think the china been damaged because mine builds back up in a week if not scrubbed very often we got a house cleaner she got them spottles we asked her how she had a pumice boy did I cringe but it sure worked she says she barely rubbed it.
I think mine got damaged years ago because I never had problem before or saw homes that get the ring that are regularly cleaned. I'm sure its etched now

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd call Toto and get their suggestions. While an acid might clean it off, it might also damage the finish.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a brand new Toto installed last year thought I noticed a bit of rust in bowl ignored it customer told me about it few days later after about a week total I dropped by and deep in bowl appeared rust I hit it with a brush and nothing. Later called supply house and just a counterman told me bring it back or try CLR So I went back and pushed some water down to lower the water in bowl and it came off like nothing with the CLR and Scotch Brite green plastic.
I'm not recommending the aggressive acid or pumice just saying its a chance that worked out pretty good.

Reaction score
I'd call Toto and get their suggestions. While an acid might clean it off, it might also damage the finish.

Hi, Finally heard back from Toto and this is what they said

"For stubbon hard water stains, we recommend soaking the stain for 30-60 miutes with CLR cleaner, and scrubbing with a plastic toilet brush."

Thanks for the input.

Reach4

Reaction score
Let us know how it comes out.

Soaking is a hard thing to do at the waterline. I think you would drop the level of the water in the bowl, and saturate pads/wads of toilet paper as a plaster over the ring.

If the ring has a lot of silica, note that CLR will not dissolve silica.

If you cannot get results chemically, I would move on to the pumice despite the warnings. You could replace the bowl.

NKaufman

Reaction score
Hi, Finally heard back from Toto and this is what they said

"For stubbon hard water stains, we recommend soaking the stain for 30-60 miutes with CLR cleaner, and scrubbing with a plastic toilet brush."

Thanks for the input.

Toto mentions on their website - https://www.totousa.com/product-faqs
"It takes a slightly acidic cleaner like vinegar or a lime dissolving cleaner to remove the minerals. Neither of these cleaners will harm the CEFIONTECT finish."

Is CLR what Toto means by lime dissolving cleaner?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rather than buying something specific, you might first try just using some plain vinegar which you probably have in your pantry.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lime away , CLR or vinegar whatever you have just don't go crazy on it and flush with water

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cleaning staff we had a while back used to dump some sort of cleaning agent in the toilets and urinals then walk away for the weekend.. whatever it was ended up damaging the finishes in the TOTO toilet and urinal and bleached the vinyl floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks