Remove Water Piping From Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Eflickinger

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to inspect / replace the anode rod on my Bradford White water heater. I see that the water piping has a combination of PEX / CPVC and unions, but i'm not that familiar with the connections. As I started to turn the hex nut at the bottom to loosen and remove the hot water outlet it seemed like the whole water pipe was twisting. What I am doing wrong here - do I need to disconnect something else first? Sorry for the potentially trivial question.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 134

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those aren't unions per se. They're transition adapters glued on to the cpvc.

Snip those zip ties off, then loosen the nut on the nipple going into the water heater. There should be enough play with the pex to allow it to thread up and pop off. That whole pipe might spin, but that's just the nature of pex connections.

Getting the nipple out is a whole other challenge. They don't give you much to grip on. Prepare to wreck the threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks