Remove Sink Legs

Users who are viewing this thread

DG624

Reaction score
I have an American Standard sink from 1952 but I don't like the legs and towel racks. Can I remove them without weakening the attachment to the wall?

Attachments

• CIMG0377_zpsfmmzm1aw.jpg
    CIMG0377_zpsfmmzm1aw.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 246

DG624

Reaction score
If I strengthen the attachment with more bolts will that be enough? The sink is not cast iron so it is probably half the weight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because the sink has legs, the actual connection and blocking in the wall may not be all that great, so, adding bolts may not help much. The house I grew up in had that same sink. When I went to remodel, I found that the wood blocking in the wall had shrunk, the attachments of the blocking would allow the sink to flex the blocking, so without the legs, it was unstable and no longer could stay tight to the wall. But, you won't know unless you try. If you tighten the bolts too much, you could crack things. Ours was an American Standard product, but it looks like your picture. I ended up replacing the sink, since ours was blue, and it wouldn't have fit in any longer with the new shower, etc.

DG624

Reaction score
I called American Standard and received an affirmative reply when I asked if I could go without legs...but I have not been able to give them and exact model number. I think I can strengthen the attachment by creating more bolt hole attachments at the rear but I would have to drill two openings.

I spent some time polishing this sink and it does look very nice but it may have been in vain if I can't use it. When the sink is removed for painting I will check the wall support.

Thank you for the reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks