Remove Rectorseal #5

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming you are talking about metal threads, not plastic, a wire wheel on a drill would do it.

DW85745

Reaction score
Thanks for both responses.

gasoline or paint thinner on a rag will probably cut into it...
why do you need to remove it??.

Wanted to get all the old off so can look at Body threads where seat resides.
Was hoping for something less volatile since potable water.
FWIW:
Working on a old Price Pfister 3 handle shower valve and can't stop spout dripping.
Only five leak points I know of for this are:
1) Bad Washer (replaced)
2) Bad Seat (replaced)
3) Washer screw hitting Seat ( confirmed Not an issue)
4) Leaking through seat thread -- e.g. Possible bad thread cut on seat threads.
5) Body threads compromised in some way. (e.g. small crack)

Have replaced seat once with Rectorseal and 2nd time with Tape (yellow two wraps) and Rectorseal on top.
Still getting small leak.

/////////////////////////////////
Wire brush on a drill.

As long as brass or nylon NOT steel. Will probably use other than mechanical means (by hand) as
don't want to impact threads. Only question is whether the Rectorseal will gum up the brush pretty fast?
Have you tried this?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
assuming you figured which side is leaking . try more wraps of tape see if there is a differance. Ive never really battled that problem of water leaking past threads on seats and wondered about fix if they did. perhaps a thin fiber washer if you could find one or even another seat differant brand might mate better.

DW85745

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.
assuming you figured which side is leaking
I haven't. Was going to put plugs in place of seats to ID, but not sure if thread cut is proprietary and
don't want to ASSUME something and create bigger problems. Have gauges so can determine number,
but pitch is another matter.

try more wraps of tape
While logical on the surface, how many is enough before causes damage -- thread overload.

Reach4

Reaction score
PTFE tape is for tapered threads, and not for threads with a gasket in the mating connection. Just checking.

DW85745

Reaction score
Reach4:
There is No gasket for the seat. In fact it should Not need tape or Rectorseal.
Don't know who originally used the Rectorseal, that is why would like to remove Rectorseal and start from scratch.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4:
There is No gasket for the seat. In fact it should Not need tape or Rectorseal.
Don't know who originally used the Rectorseal, that is why would like to remove Rectorseal and start from scratch.
I would use your digital caliper (or old-time vernier caliper) to see if the threads are tapered.

There are sealants that people like better than others. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-pipe-dope.75000/ is one thread. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-wont-this-connection-stop-leaking.87567/ is another.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Price pfister 3 handel straight threads, metal on metal, could be crack some where. gotta do what ever works . it shouldnt need anything on the threads, and it shouldnt leak but it does.
I would do this in about 15 minutes remove seat put a new seat in preferably from another source. turn water on . if it leaks take it apart and do something! , anything! put it back together if it stops dripping your good. if you give up you can replace the valve. removing rectorseal 1/2 inch fitting brush jam it in and twist real easy! I seriously doubt your leak is caused by pipe dope

DW85745

Reaction score
As indicated in post #4, want to remove the Rectorseal so I can look at the threads. Have tied another seat BTW.
Looking at Rectorseal MSDS uses some type of alcohol as a base. So going to give some 100 proof drinking alcohol a try and
see what it does as far a dissolving. While the valve can be replaced NOT first option until problem ID.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never have I had such an issue. maybe someone used some epoxy, like i said wire brush, Id just get after it try something .
Thats right the only advice you were seeking was removing pipe dope. Let us know how you wind up removing the dope, and please share your repair method for your leak. all of us can learn from someone even while offering our experiance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks