Remove Air from system after Air Injection Iron Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Air in the product water is very common with AIO system designs. This is caused due to the water running through a large air pocket allowing the water to absorb oxygen. Under pressure this tends to stay in solution. Once the water gets depressurized the air will come out of solution. Very similar to why an RO can have a lot of air after changing the filters. The contact tank design or enlarged loop allow a slight decrease in pressure as the water enters the larger diameter section hopefully allowing excess gasses to come out of solution... this design can help but not always, too many variables to say for sure.

This issue is common with Micornizers, AIO, and even h2o2 injection systems when the injection is set to high.

Scott Walter

Reaction score
So far I am happy to report the system appears to be working well. We are no longer getting the spurts of air at the kitchen faucet. It has only been a couple of days, so I will keep monitoring, but it appears to be a great solution and I am only out $50 for all the parts and mounting hardware.

Thanks Dittohead for the great suggestion.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Glad to hear it helped. AIO designs work but too many companies overstate their ability. Be aware that you should remove the valve and be prepared to clean it regularly. The injector assembly on top should be removes every few months to start to see how bad the build up is. I lean toward citric acid for cleaning these units.

Amedeo Melone

Reaction score
hello - i am having this exact problem with the same set up - i appreciate this is an old post but does anyone know if this is still a viable solution? are there better ones out there?
really appreciate any expertise or experience

Reach4

Reaction score
hello - i am having this exact problem with the same set up - i appreciate this is an old post but does anyone know if this is still a viable solution? are there better ones out there?
If what is a viable solution? That air removal thing to remove air looks good, so that seems highly viable. So if the question is how to "Remove Air from system after Air Injection Iron Filter", that seems to be a great solution.

Amedeo Melone

Reaction score
Definitely better options available, can you post your water report?
Hi and thanks for the response - i actually don't have it, the installer did a test with a kit. I know I have high sulpher (really smell it outside at the hose bibs and i love eggs) and I also have iron - current set up is:
AIOC HT565 150 and 45K FLECK 5800SXT - i have been doing a lot of reading on the H2O2 solutions but figured id try the solution here before spending a bunch

appreciate the reply

Amedeo Melone

Reaction score
If what is a viable solution? That air removal thing to remove air looks good, so that seems highly viable. So if the question is how to "Remove Air from system after Air Injection Iron Filter", that seems to be a great solution.
thanks that is my question

Grinch

Reaction score
I'm having issues with air spitting out of my HW taps after installing an AIO iron filter (Rainfresh CAFO948).

I'm thinking of adding a 3" loop with a bleeder valve like what Scott Walter has installed, but will contact the manufacturer first.
There is one thing that isn't clear to me and is the loop installed before the HW tank or after?
If I had to guess, I would say before the HW tank, but there may be reasons that are not clear to the average DIY'er.

Bdiggs

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a problem for the Aer-Max type of systems? Maybe it's okay since it comes with it's own vent? I was thinking about adding one of those to a system, but having it come on when the pump runs (overkill, I know), and so it would be adding a lot of air (but less guesswork).

I am planning on having a mixing tank not too far downstream (maybe from Aer-Max to pH tank (Calcite/Flo-Mag) then to this mixing tank: https://store.afwfilters.com/pumps/...ed-pure-water-chemical-mixing-retention-tank/) before the next steps.

Any thoughts on that fancy contact/mixing tank or the Aer-Max?

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Any thoughts on that fancy contact/mixing tank or the Aer-Max?
With a contact/retention tank, there will be sediment. Ideally the tank will have a drain valve where you drain the settled sediment.

ZR-Mike

Reaction score
https://www.mcmaster.com/#air-bleeders/=1bscv44
4928k4p1-c03a-digitals.png

These are fairly effective... lots of ways to do it cheap and simple. A tank is best but costly. You could create a low velocity loop with this on top. This is nothing more than a 3" pipe going up a foot, then back down a foot after the units. The low water velocity should help to allow the air to raise to the top... goofy but effective.
I know this is an old post...hoping for a little help. I am having the same air issue in the lines after my iron filter. I would like to install the low velocity loop that you are discussing here. My question is regarding the air-bleeder valves, I am not having any luck finding certified lead free valves. Is it ok to use the ones that are in the mcmaster link? or is there another lead free option out there?

Reach4

Reaction score
I know this is an old post...hoping for a little help. I am having the same air issue in the lines after my iron filter. I would like to install the low velocity loop that you are discussing here. My question is regarding the air-bleeder valves, I am not having any luck finding certified lead free valves. Is it ok to use the ones that are in the mcmaster link? or is there another lead free option out there?
In the left column, you might see RoHS Compliant as a term. Click that, and I think it only shows those who are RoHS compliant, which I think means lead-free for this purpose.

https://www.mcmaster.com/air-vent-valves/ is the link before you click RoHS compliant, and https://www.mcmaster.com/air-vent-valves/rohs-restriction-of-hazardous-substances-~rohs-compliant/ is after.

Is that how you interpret it?

ZR-Mike

Reaction score

Grinch

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted about my issue with air spitting.
A few months after posting I noticed the air spitting from the hot water taps began to reduce.
Now the problem has gone away.
I haven't noticed any increase in water staining but was wondering if this would indicate that some maintenance was needed.
I now have the components for the low velocity loop that Scott Walter describes in post #18 but would rather not get into another project if possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks