Removal of 50 yr old sink drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jinmalibu

Reaction score
I am installing a new sink and vanity in a bathroom. The house was built in 1965 and the original sink is being replaced. The drain pipe sticking out of the wall is corroded to the point the pipe is disintegrating and the threaded end of the pipe is breaking off. See photos. I tried to unscrew the pipe to no avail. One thread here mentioned there may be a nut that had to be loosened inside the wall. Not the case. It is screwed directly into a 90 degree elbow inside the wall.

Any ideas how to get the pipe loose? The pipe wrench I was using is substandard and I tried channel locks as well.

Also, when I do replace the pipe, do I need to use any type of sealant on the threads?

nZbYw51.jpg

7fdvG90.jpg

jBY1sfO.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sometimes open the wall up, put heat on the fitting in the wall and none on the nipple. That expands the hub and allows me to use a pipe wrench on the pipe nipple. Have water handy if you are applying heat.
You will want some pipe dope for the threads when you reinstall, unless you are coming out with plastic, and then tape works fine.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't have enough room you have to remove one or both of the angle stops. You could slip a section of pipe over the pipe wrench handle to get more leverage.

Jinmalibu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I need to get a better wrench and I will try the heat.

For replacement, what is a better option plastic or galvanized ?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When heating the joint, be careful not to start a fire,

You can try some wd-40 and a 24" plumber's wrench with a section of a pipe over the handle, before using heat. Caution: don't break the thread in the connector.

Once you free the nipple, clean the female thread in the wall. Use ABS male adapter with Teflon tape only - don't force it, and tighten gently. Then install a piece of ABS pipe with the correct length into the male adapter, and continue with the trap.

Jinmalibu

Reaction score
I was able to get the drain pipe removed with a 24" wrench without needing any heat. I went to Home Depot and picked up a 1 1/2" male adapter, 1 1 1/2" extenion and p-trap assembly. I am also going to need to use an extension to connect the sink drain to the trap. Here are some photos of what I have. I have a few questions about how to connect everything.

W1Kg4Vz.jpg

I bought Oatey All Purpose Cement for pvc, cpvc and ABS. Is that what I need to connect and seal the extension to the male adpater in the wall and to the p-trap?

How far do I insert the extension piece into the male adapter and presumably seal with cement? Should the extension be inserted flush with the edge of the threads or should it go further in and stick out past the threads? Also, I will need to cut the extension down to size, but should I glue the extension into the adapter first or do I install the male adapter then insert the extension and glue?

iHbYxuq.jpg

Lastly, the wall tube that connects to the p-trap has a flange at the end. I assume I do not need a washer with this piece and just tighten with a nut.
EbTOS6L.jpg

Reaction score
The rule with ABS is that you don't glue where there are threads.

I've seen previous jobs where threads are glued, contractors do that on purpose so if the client wanted any modifications, they have to cut it all out and charge again to replace it whole.

The gray tailpipe can be as deep down into the trap as possible, that hand-tight nut will compress onto the tailpipe. Do not add white teflon tape to the threads.

Same goes for the hand-tight nut on the leaving end of the p-trap. Again, do not use white teflon tape to the threads.

The glue only goes on 2 areas, the left ends of your two long horizontals. Those two ends can be cut to length as desired.

The final adapter will just thread into the wall, you can use white teflon tape here.

I know ABS glue sets really fast within 30 seconds and can be put into service immediately. All-in-one glues might need some curing time.

Don't pull your hair if you saw off too much or screw up the glue. All these plastic parts are cheap, you can buy them again.

Last edited:

Jinmalibu

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, I glue the tube going into the male adapter that will be screwed inside the wall?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks