Remote thermostat for electric water heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
Plumbing a carriage house that will get random use, and was thinking a remote thermostat for the water heater would avoid having to flip the breaker off/on each time it is being used. I know I've seen them before, but I cant seem to locate one. Not interested in anything WiFi, just a wall mounted unit similar to a HVAC thermostat. Any help appreciated.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Never seen an actual external thermostat for a water heater. You can use any kind of 240v timer and have a sheduled on/off. The magical WIFI ones just use an even more magical algorithm to turn the power on/off. I suppose you could design one with an actual heat sensor plugged into the water heater so you could use a standard thermostat.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a switch that controls a 2-pole contactor (big relay). The contactor interrupts the power to the WH. WH keeps its thermostats.

There are switches that will turn on for a preset time, so that the user would not have to remember to turn the power back off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could get a little messy if you wanted to actually turn the WH setting up/down, but is much easier if you want to just turn it on/off.

This could become more critical if there were a chance of freezing. Note also, that water sitting in a WH tank that is off has the chance of growing things. Keeping it above that critical zone tends to slow or stop that from happening.

There are wireless, low-voltage, and WiFi solutions to on/off. Physically adjusting the aquastat, unless the unit is already setup for it (some tankless systems are), isn't as straightforward and is probably more dependent on the actual unit you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks