Remote P Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Bird Doo Head

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I've got a P Trap question that I would appreciate advice on. I searched the forum and managed to get myself all confused. Here's the crazy situation:

I want to add a bathtub in the existing half bath on the second floor. The drainage piping for the existing toilet and sink are in a soffit above the first floor bathroom. This soffit is above the downstairs sink and toilet area. The stack is in the wall in the corner of the room.

If I put the new tub's P Trap directly under the tub outlet, I'd have to extend the soffit, at a right angle to the existing one, for several feet. The soffit would be much wider, too. It would look kind of goofy downstairs.

My idea is to connect the tailpiece from the tub outlet to a marvel which is in a DWV 90 degree bend. This 90 will connect to a pipe which will travel toward the existing soffit for about 3 feet (appropriately sloped) where it will enter a glued-up P Trap via a 90 (or two 45 degree bends). Now the new trap is hidden in the existing soffit.

Is this legal or is it a Running Trap? (Or some other illegal or non-functional set-up)
For junk build up, this tub won't have a shower. I suppose it would drain well from the tub emptying force. It's a 4 foot steel tub.

Thanks very much for your help!
Paul

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
There is always a better solution than what you're proposing here...

Post some pictures.

Bird Doo Head

Reaction score
Good Point!

Thanks for the note about unclogging the drain. I didn't even think about how difficult it would be to send an auger through a trap from a, more or less, horizontal approach. My house has a similar set up on the main line (but a "U" Trap). The cleanouts are inaccessible (built in cabinet over them and, when I once looked- No clean out caps. Must be under the slab) When I have to snake for roots it is very difficult to get the cable & cutter to 'jump' the trap. (My trick- I cut half of the U shaped cutter off so it kind of climbs and gets hooked on the outlet side to send it out & not jam into the underside of the cap.
(Eventually, the built in cabinet will come out and I'll break the floor to eliminate the "U" Trap. The root problem will have to wait as my nice concrete driveway is on top of the line. $$$$$$$$$)

If I can figure out how, I'll post a drawing of my proposed set up. I'd love to re-locate the trap to the existing soffit- If I have to, I'll add a soffit. Oh well!

Thanks Again,
Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks