Remodeling...subbing help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
We are getting ready to start about a $50,000 remodel and update of our house and would like some suggestions.

For instance, on the remodel of our master bath, should I hire one subcontractor to handle the whole thing? Or would I be better off hiring a plumber for the tub, fixtures, etc. then hire someone for flooring, someone else for the cabinets, someone for the countertops, etc?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You either get a general, or several subs.
The general will have subs, or if you take on this job, then you will be the one setting up schedules and checking the work.

Most people are very good at one thing. I don't know too many that can personally do it all themselves.

For example:
I've done everything, however I am best at plumbing.
I'm too slow at things like tile to want to do very much of it.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I have one general sub who has done some small stuff for us before...If I take on that job, am I responsible for all the permits, etc. if necessary?

I guess the reason I am asking, is that we plan to do some of the work ourselves to save some money, like trim work, staining, painting, etc. If I hire a general subcontractor, would I be able to do this, or would he require us to let him complete the job 100%

I need a plumber...if you get down to the south in the next couple of months let me know! LOL!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are the general contractor, you get to decide what gets done and who does it...you set the contract. The subs can choose to either accept that, or not take the job.

Since you are paying for it, if you aren't the general contractor, you set the ground rules, and he either accepts them, or doesn't take the job. Any change requests after the initial contract should be negotiated in writing to ensure there are no misunderstandings on either side of what is expected and what it will cost. If the original contract has enough detail, there should not be any misunderstandings. For example, if you decide on a particular tile, or fixture, any substitution would constitute a change, and could incur a cost penalty. If time is critical, you may want a performance time to completion, and possibly a penalty. Keep in mind that any change order will likely affect the end result in either time or money or both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks