Remodel: need advice for adding /removing tees to existing copper drain

Users who are viewing this thread

btsbarton

Reaction score
hi, doing a kitchen remodel and need to get rid of the old tee on the drain, and add a new one below the floor. Old sink was under window where the ptrap you see is, but new sink will be in a new Island. I need to run a New horizontal below the floor from the island to the drain.

I Can solder copper, but it's a pain especially with limited space like there is against the wall. I'm no pro at it. So I would rather switch to ABS for any new pipe or fittings to make things easier.

zblhEYJ.jpg

lUPRt3f.jpg

2NndQCR.jpg

So the options I see:
1) Cut the existing copper in the basement below where the new tee needs to be, and somewhere above the existing tee. Replace the cutout section with ABS pipe and fittings as needed, connect to copper on each end with rubber fernco Clamps.
2) replace the entire drain /stack with ABS from floor to roof. The kitchen sink is the only thing draining into this vertical, so it's not much different than option 1 Except I have to connect at the cast iron (?) and also worry about resealing the roof vent
3) cap the old horizontal run, only remove just enough of the copper pop in a new tee where I need it. Is there some kind of slick fitting that is just a tee I can clamp into the existing copper?
4)???? A better way I don't know yet?

For reference, local code is 2015 IPC

Thank you kindly!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Copper to PVC or ABS Proflex coupling.Best way to transition.

Attachments

• 3001-22-3.jpg
    3001-22-3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 260

btsbarton

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes those are the couplings I was thinking to use with option 1.

I'm thinking I'll cut it just above where the old tee is, and add a clean out just below the copper/abs transition. This will be behind the fridge so I could put an access panel in the wall there. Good idea? Or unnecessary?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks