Remineralize/Blend RO Water, Copper Pipes, & Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
I am piping an espresso machine to my kitchen and would like to install an RO system in my basement that will be remineralized by a cartridge or by blending with feed water. If I were to do that, can I run a copper pipe to the kitchen or do I still need to use PEX?

Additionally, if I remineralize the RO water, can I use any faucet I want for drinking or do I need to use a special RO faucet?

Thanks!
John

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Either copper or PEX can be used. RO systems has a very small water delivery capacity. Usually about a two gallon tank used as storage. If you want to install a tap, ones used for instant hot water devices can be used. Some RO kits may come with one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewer...om-Faucet-in-Chrome-3310-160-CH-B-Z/203875363

chrome-homewerks-worldwide-single-hole-bathroom-faucets-3310-160-ch-b-z-c3_600.jpg

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
Either copper or PEX can be used. RO systems has a very small water delivery capacity. Usually about a two gallon tank used as storage. If you want to install a tap, ones used for instant hot water devices can be used. Some RO kits may come with one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewer...om-Faucet-in-Chrome-3310-160-CH-B-Z/203875363

chrome-homewerks-worldwide-single-hole-bathroom-faucets-3310-160-ch-b-z-c3_600.jpg
Thanks! So just to confirm, if I remineralize the RO water, I can run copper to the espresso machine. That would be fantastic!

For my sink drinking faucet, if I remineralize the RO water, can I use any faucet or will I still need a special RO faucet? I ask because the main faucet is a Rohl which I cannot match because Rohl does not make RO faucets.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Copper is fine, no restrictions. An RO is a great way to clean water but it is a slow process. It’s why there is a storage tank. If you take the output to a remineralize, it doesn’t matter but a standard kitchen faucet uses about 1.5-2 gallons a minute. You’ll run out of water while washing at the kitchen sink. There is really no RO faucet per say other than something similar as I shown before. They are used for water filters and instant hot devices.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would prefer plastic, in case the remineralization cartridge gets depleted.

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
Copper is fine, no restrictions. An RO is a great way to clean water but it is a slow process. It’s why there is a storage tank. If you take the output to a remineralize, it doesn’t matter but a standard kitchen faucet uses about 1.5-2 gallons a minute. You’ll run out of water while washing at the kitchen sink. There is really no RO faucet per say other than something similar as I shown before. They are used for water filters and instant hot devices.

Thank you. Great info! I will run copper to my Espresso Machine and will be diligent on swapping the remineralization filters.

My kitchen faucet won't be hooked up to the RO system, only the drinking faucet will be. It sounds like I can use any faucet I want as long as I keep up with changing the remineralization filters. I will run PEX. It is a short run, no reason not to.

For our fridge water faucet, I ran two lines (copper and pex) so I have options and don't have to worry about ripping my floors out.

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score

Following up with one more question. Can I use this instant hot filter faucet with an RO system that is remineralized?

https://houseofrohl.com/armstrong-h...-polished-chrome-model-number-u-1833ht-apc-2/

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
That is a nice unit. The wording filter threw me off a bit until I read the specifications. No reason why you cannot use it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
mrbrady, you may have this figured out but its very typical that the r/o system comes with a faucet that has a built in air gap for the wasted water to safely removed with out a direct connection to waste system. so you need to figure out the drainage if you missed that detail.

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
mrbrady, you may have this figured out but its very typical that the r/o system comes with a faucet that has a built in air gap for the wasted water to safely removed with out a direct connection to waste system. so you need to figure out the drainage if you missed that detail.

I did miss that detail. Luckily the RO faucet will be installed at my main sink so that won't be a concern.

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
That is a nice unit. The wording filter threw me off a bit until I read the specifications. No reason why you cannot use it.

Do I need to worry about RO water leaching any metal from this faucet if I forget to change the remineralization cartridge? If so, what is the best way to track the cartridge being depleted?

Last edited:

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
bumping to see if anyone can provide some insight on my question above. I want to make sure I understand the risks so I can properly prepare cartridge changes in the future

Gsmith22

Reaction score
yes, you need to worry about RO water leaching metals from the wetted surface of whatever it comes in contact with if not remineralized or forget to change out the remineralization filter. You could probably use a TDS meter to track remineralization - do some tests at the start of a new filter and then subsequently over time to see how TDS reduces as the cartridge wears out. Not sure if its a slow reduction or a sudden drop off but its best to keep an eye on it.

Mrbrady3324

Reaction score
yes, you need to worry about RO water leaching metals from the wetted surface of whatever it comes in contact with if not remineralized or forget to change out the remineralization filter. You could probably use a TDS meter to track remineralization - do some tests at the start of a new filter and then subsequently over time to see how TDS reduces as the cartridge wears out. Not sure if its a slow reduction or a sudden drop off but its best to keep an eye on it.

Thank you. I'm assuming the leach damage to the faucet would be irreversible? Are "true" RO Faucets plastic?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks