Relocating Pressure Tank and Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Sue_PA

Reaction score
Our water source is a spring located about 300 ft away from the house and about 30 ft lower in elevation. Right now the pressure tank and switch are in the spring house with the pump. Works fine, but obviously not the best for repairs or even monitoring to make sure things are functioning properly. We are considering moving the pressure tank and switch to the basement. Besides the obvious need for a lower cut in/out pressure setting on the switch, are there any other concerns with having the tank and switch so far from the pump?

All advice and input is appreciated! Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as the tank and switch are installed close to each other, and there are no check valves in the line, a pressure tank can be a long way from the pump. 30' elevation is the same as 13 PSI. So, you can either lower the pressure setting or have 13 PSI more after moving the tank up the hill.

Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will solve most of the problems that destroys the pump and everything in the pump system as well as deliver strong constant pressure to the house. You can even install the CSV at the well head and still have the tank and switch at the house, so you can tap into the line anywhere you want on the way to the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are wires already run-- for example, will you be passing switched power, from the house, through the wires that have been sending power to the pressure switch? That should work well.

But on the other hand, if you do not have a pitless adapter, and the power wires, to be repurposed, currently help heat the spring house, then freezing could be a problem.

Sue_PA

Reaction score
We are running new wires - mostly because the current wire enters the ground one color, and emerges at the spring house another color, and I question the workmanship. There will still be wire from hose to pump, but the switch will be in a different place. I'm not sure what you are saying about the wires heating the spring house? There is no heater there.

Reach4

Reaction score
We are running new wires - mostly because the current wire enters the ground one color, and emerges at the spring house another color, and I question the workmanship. There will still be wire from hose to pump, but the switch will be in a different place. I'm not sure what you are saying about the wires heating the spring house? There is no heater there.
What you propose should work fine. So before, power was coming from the house and feeding the pressures switch input. Now the power will go to the pressure switch in the house, and the switched power will go to the pump.

Some people supply unswitched power to the well house to run a heater. You don't run a heater, so running switched power to the pump area is fine.

Do you know how many HP the pump is?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks