Relocating house shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr Love

Reaction score
I have a project to enclose part of a utility room (which was once the old garage before remodel). This entails, at least to my preference, to move the shutoff valve to where it'll be outside of this new room. I attached a picture of a rough schematic. Blue star is the current location with line showing pipe travel out to exterior water heater. Red line is proposed wall and green star is new location on wall. Overall run isn't more than 8 feet but I'm wondering how weird it would be to basically extend the lines alone this weird loop.

Anything CAN be done...but is there any reason NOT to do this? And also are there preferred methods?

Currently it's all copper soldered with a gate valve. I will change it to a quarter turn and still use copper.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's no picture. But people move valves there's not really a reason not to do it.

Dr Love

Reaction score
whoops

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 91

Dr Love

Reaction score
on second thought, i actually have PEX leftovers from another project. I could easily make this loop with PEX. I know they make PEX to copper fittings but realistically how "good" are they really?
One thing I'm going to do near this shutoff is run a Tee into a sink i'll put in the room. Or I'll extend it from the hot water heater for hot/cold from the outside, but either way it'll be in this area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks