Relocated Toilet Drain Directly Above 2x10 Floor Joist

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Can I sister the backside of the floor joist and then notch the front side so I can fit my drain in? I can find plenty of advice for drain that needs to go through the joist horizontally, but none when a toilet drain is above the joist.

The nail with green tape is dropped in from the bathroom above, in the center of the toilet drain. It's 1 3/8" from the edge of the joist.

IMG_3350.JPG IMG_3351.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Reaction score
I should have mentioned the toilet back to from runs left to right in the first picture, so if I move it to the right any further it will be too far away from the wall. I already have it 12 1/4 from drywall as is.

I think the offset flange will be perfect, if I cut into the top of the joist a little bit before it angles I will put a sister on the back side for extra support.

Thank you both for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh. That makes a difference. You could alternatively go with a 14 inch rough-in. The Totos that use Unifit can use a 14 inch adapter. That would cost a premium however.

I am not saying that the offset flange and sistering the joist is undesirable. If you screw and glue the sister joist, it will be stronger-- maybe stronger than the original uncut joist.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I would do wood removal on the joist with a rasp, rather than with a power tool. I think that would tend to make me only remove the minimum required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks