Relocate rough-in for bar sink

Users who are viewing this thread

DianeDebuda

Reaction score
The rough-in was done by a plumber many years ago. The planned location of the bar sink is now a stair landing, so obviously needs a change now.

The vent is 1-1/2"; the floor drain is 2"; the horizonal is 2". My plan is to replace the existing T at the old bar location with an elbow and replace the existing drain elbow with a sanitary T with the lower leg to the drain (2"), the upper leg to the sloped horizonal vent (elevate & change to 1-1/2?) and extend (with slope) the middle leg about 4 ft to the new sink location. Unsure if the sink leg can be 1-1/2 (preferred) or needs to be 2". From what I've read, thinking the sink end should be 16" AFF; not sure how far above T before elbow to sloped horizontal to existing vertical vent. 4"? Does this sound right?

Alternative is T at drain with center down to drain and 1 leg to vent and 1 leg to sink, but suspect that's not a good choice.

Pic 01 shows new location of wet bar and existing plumbing going towards the stairs (orig wet bar location).
Pic 07 shows existing plumbing from backside
Pic 04 shows close-up of existing plumbing from backside

Attachments

• 01 bar from FR edit.jpg
    01 bar from FR edit.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 458
  • 07 vent bar from kit.jpg
    07 vent bar from kit.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 532
  • 04 bar plumbing from kit edit.jpg
    04 bar plumbing from kit edit.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,499

Stuff

Reaction score
Strange framing. Looks like set up for a pocket door and pass-through. You may need to re-build that wall.

Dry vents can't run horizontally unless they are 6" above flood level so you need a different plan. How about putting an elbow low at the drain pipe, come over to the sink, elbow up, san-tee for the sink, up several feet, elbow, then horizontal and elbow up to vent.

DianeDebuda

Reaction score
Yes, the framing is odd. There were several years and some layout changes between when we had the slab poured and we had the framing done. The stairs came several years later. Now it's some 25 yrs after the original framing with more changes. Guess that might explain most of it. Can't say we rush things.:rolleyes:

The originally planned pass-thru is dead, so going to do some reframing here anyhow. I will be putting 2x4 flat against the entire wall on the bar side and sistering/replacing some the the wall studs.

Do you mean something like this? Distance from existing floor drain to T for sink = 37"; distance from T for sink to existing vertical vent = 75". Assume if I want sink stub to be 16" AFF, then elbow at floor drain would be at 16" - height of bottom of T leg - height of elbow in wall at sink - 3/4" for slope. Size of pipe all 1-1/2"?

Thanks.

Pic is from backside.

Attachments

• 02 bar wall from kit edit2.jpg
    02 bar wall from kit edit2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Looks OK to me. 16" might be too high or low depending on sink and base. 1 1/2" is fine for drain.

DianeDebuda

Reaction score
A reply was posted that I didn't fully understand, but it's deleted now. It said "The vent should be 42" or higher." Is that what I should be aiming for above the T or from the floor?

Reach4

Reaction score
A reply was posted that I didn't fully understand, but it's deleted now. It said "The vent should be 42" or higher." Is that what I should be aiming for above the T or from the floor?
Floor. That is based on figuring the top of the sink rims would be 36 inches or less.

DianeDebuda

Reaction score
Decided to reframe section of wall & add vertical vent for sink. PVC elbow & tee to sink not yet glued; vertical pvc for vent at top of tee not shown. Want to drill holes and insert horizontal hot & cold copper before nailing studs. Better to attempt to straighten existing vertical copper for elbows or cut where straight and add extension to elbows? Is there a convention of vertical hot line above cold or visa versa?

Attachments

• 20 bar sink drain reframe.jpg
    20 bar sink drain reframe.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 21 bar sink drain closeup.jpg
    21 bar sink drain closeup.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 430

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
The elbow at the bottom right is incorrect; it appears you've used a vent elbow there instead of a long elbow. Likewise, the combo-Y above it should be a sanitary tee.

DianeDebuda

Reaction score
So the elbow should be the same as what I used at the drain. Stupid me - thought the tee was a sanitary tee. Googled & now see proper fitting. Funny, showed to a couple of plumbers that I had out to look at a toilet rough-in & no one said a thing. At least they're not glued in yet. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks