Relief Valve leaking when pump turns on

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay hudgins

Reaction score
20170715_182341.jpg 20170715_182350.jpg

I replaced my leaking relief valve today, then as soon as I turned the well back on the new one started leaking with just the pressure from the pump. I also noticed that the concrete has lifted about 3/4 of an inch off the ground. Any suggestions???

Reach4

Reaction score
What does the pressure gauge say?

Most relief valves can be adjusted by unscrewing the cover, even if they are not advertised as adjustable. Remove the pressure before opening that cover on a relief valve that is not advertised as adjustable. Put the cover back.

Any suggestions???

You should get your casing extended, and you should connect to your pump with a pitless adapter. Pits flood, even if there is not that failure that you are seeing.

I am presuming that you get a freeze now and then.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think it's a pit. More like an enclosure.
I wonder if the standing water is from rain or the relief valve.

Maybe it would be wise to have the pressure relief send its released water outside of the enclosure to not wash the enclosure floor down the well. And then put on a cover to keep the rain out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Reach said, you can adjust the relief valve. But check the pressure gauge first to make sure the pressure relief is not just doing what it is designed to do, which is pop off at high pressure. You could also have water hammer on pump start from a check valve at the tank. This could pop the relief valve open, and it will stick that way until the pressure gets considerably lower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks