Reliant Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Aitchison

Reaction score
We have a Reliant electric hot water heater that is approximately 10 y.o. About 4 yrs ago, it acted up: giving is VERY hot water, and then kicking off .. reset button worked. We had to do that several times and were contemplating a new one, when it stopped acting up and held the temperature setting. Suddenly, it has started to do this again! It's been 3 days. Is there an internal thermostat that needs replacing? Or another sort of fix ... or is it on it's way out and requires replacing? Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

It normally does not require replacing until it starts to leak. Your symptoms normally indicate a partially burned out element, but they also normally do not "repair" themselves. A competent plumber could determine whether it is an element(s) problem or a thermostat one.

Aitchison

Reaction score
Reliant Water Heater

Thanks for the info on the element. A new thermostat was installed about an hour ago by my husband, and we have hot water coming through the pipes! Yipppe ... it's no freezing shower for me tomorrow morning ... I'll ask him what he thought the element looked like. Thanks again! ~ Aitchison

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

He should not even have removed the element to look at it. You would get hot water even with the old thermostat. The "acid test" will be if it needs resetting again. If the screws on the thermostat were discolored, then that would indicate a poor connection, which would heat up the 'reset' button. If that were the case, then a new themostat would correct it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks