Reliability of GE Geospring and Rheem EcoSense Heatpump WH

Users who are viewing this thread

eas

Reaction score
Website
powercartel.com
Our old electric water heater seems ready to die, so I'm shopping for a replacement. I'll probably install it myself since right now I have a bit more time and a bit less money, though I'll probably also get a couple of quotes, because I'd be happy to pay a pro to do the job and haul off the old one if the price is right.

In any case, in my online research, I've discovered that with rebates and utility incentives I can get a GE Geospring or Rheem EcoSense hybrid heatpump/electric water heater for the same price or less than I'd pay for a straight-up electric replacement. It'll be a bit more work, because I have to put in a condensate pump and install some louvered vents in the wall of the large closet the existing water heater spends its days and nights, but I figure it will reduce the duty cycle of the basement humidifier and cut our electric costs.

I was a little concerned with the relative newness of the technology, but I figured, while these things are more complex than the average hot water heater, they aren't any more complex than a water heater + a refrigerator, and one can go a decade or more without having major problems with either of those.

Sounds like a no-brainer, right? It was, until I decided to read reviews of the GE Geospring. I get the sense that there have been some huge quality control problems, which may have spanned years. Or maybe, they've just sold really well, and the 1% of people with problems have posted about them. Either way, it rattled me.

I'd originally favored the GE because it is a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and would fit in place of the existing unit without having to revise the plumbing, but after reading the reviews, I broadened my search to the Rheem models covered by the rebate (HB50RH & HB50RS). Reviews seemed to be better, but there were fewer of them, and there were enough people with problems to raise my doubts.

So, what do you good people know about these products? Has GE brought quality up to a reasonable level? Are the Rheem options generally reliable, or do they have problems?

Thanks in advance for any perspective you can offer!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Electrolux bought GE.

If you get a GE brand, it will most likely be old stock. Not sure how that will change getting repair parts and service.

Good Luck.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are asking for trouble.... its a 50/50 chance that it wont last the time it takes to
get a pay back on it and if somethign goes wrong you are so totally screwed..
Very few people can work on the things and it would probably have to be thrown out

if you get anormal electirc heater and put a blanket on it , you will probably do just fine
with the savings factor and ther is so much less to worry about

solalo

Reaction score
eas,
If incentives etc. are going to let you have the heat pump water heater installed and running at about the same price as an ordinary storage WH, go ahead and get it. with all the efficiency they have they are always better than a normal water heater.
But as Mark warns, both GE and Rheem heat pump water heaters run into trouble regularly for some reason. Perhaps, the manufacturers are yet to learn how to make these things as it is fairly new type of water heater. In any case, if the heat pump doesn't work you are basically stuck with an electric water heater. That's why I think with HPWHs, you either get the best or none. Personally, the only HPWH I'd install without second thought is Stiebel Eltron. It's double the price but has double the capacity and I've not seen anyone complain about it, yet.
I understand that exceeds the budget you are willing to allocate to this but just to give an idea:
http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/accelera.html

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
They have to many parts that can fail.

A electric heating element is 100% efficient.

The best way to Really conserve is to not have Hot water at all.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
They have to many parts that can fail.

A electric heating element is 100% efficient.

The best way to Really conserve is to not have Hot water at all.[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree with donL
the best way to really conserve energy is not to have any water at all...

look at what you will save
1. there is no possibility of anything breaking down on you,

2. a cold shower in the morning, will make you
"wide eyed and bushey tailed" you will literally jump
out of that shower ready to take on the world....

and you will probably not
need your morning coffe any more .....
so there is a savings too....

sempreL

Reaction score
I purchased the 50 gallon hybrid model. It is a DISASTER. The unit began leaking from the top only 2 months after having it installed. Rheem refused to send anyone to come and repair or swap it out (they claimed that there was no one in my area to service it despite the fact that they advertised local contractors in my area who they deal with). They instead told me I had to return it myself to home depot and only offered to reimburse me a small fraction of what it costs to disconnect remove and reinstal a new one! Please stay away. This is an example of a manufacturing company being negligent about what they put out on the market. Read some of the reviews online.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I purchased the 50 gallon hybrid model. It is a DISASTER. The unit began leaking from the top only 2 months after having it installed. Rheem refused to send anyone to come and repair or swap it out (they claimed that there was no one in my area to service it despite the fact that they advertised local contractors in my area who they deal with). They instead told me I had to return it myself to home depot and only offered to reimburse me a small fraction of what it costs to disconnect remove and reinstal a new one! Please stay away. This is an example of a manufacturing company being negligent about what they put out on the market. Read some of the reviews online.

sorry to hear about your issues... that is what you run the risk of .... total trouble with no support in your area...

my example.....
Last Friday afternoon I had to re-build a Home Depot Rheem Platinum water heater only one year old with
the honey-well thermostat on it.. The Thermostat was defective and HD does not carry parts.... they basically told me it would be about 10 days before some tech would be able to come out and diagnose the water heater...

This heater serviced 2 apartments and an office so I happenned to have Factory RHEEM parts on my truck
I took off the honey well thermostat and threw out the burner assembly and installed my stuff to get them out of a week-long cold water jam.... $400

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks