Relatively new water heater-no dip tube present?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
OK I have a water heater that is about 3 years old and when I originally hooked it up it had both nipples attached at the top and I just plumbed to it. Currently doing a laundry remodel, the water heater is in new location and I am completely replumbing it. When I removed the nipples there was no dip tube present. It is a Rheem 50 gallon tank. Is it a thing for any top load water heater to not have a dip tube or is mine just prematurely broken/dissolved or whatever? Neither of the old tubes I pulled out of the trash appear to have anything missing or broken. One of them has a filter inside the nipple.
What I have installed at the moment is just two plain 5.5" steel nipples (with nothing going on inside them). I do not have a dissimilar metal connection so I didn't think the dielectric option was needed. I was not aware of the dip tube requirement when I bought the new nipples.

I assume I should find a replacements?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The nipples are heat traps and you should install new ones unless you built them externally with u shape connections. Just google water heater heat traps.

All water heaters need a dip tube. Without one the cold inlet water will immediately mix with the heated water outlet. If there wasn't one, you would be complaining of limited hot water when first installed.

Reaction score
The nipples are heat traps and you should install new ones unless you built them externally with u shape connections. Just google water heater heat traps.

All water heaters need a dip tube. Without one the cold inlet water will immediately mix with the heated water outlet. If there wasn't one, you would be complaining of limited hot water when first installed.
Thanks, I do have piping heat trap.
One problem I am having is that the nipples I am finding in store and online with various features like filters, heat traps or dielectric all seem to be in the 3" long range. Mine need to be at least 5" to get clear of the hole so I can put a wrench on it. No idea why they inset it so deep. That is why I went with the 5.5" steel nipples with nothing in them.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Since about 2010 new energy codes, water heater insulation was increased causing the exterior jacket to increase and inch or two in height and width.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It might help if you mentioned the brand and model of water heater. It might be that the dip tube is not attached to the inlet nipple.

Reaction score
Since about 2010 new energy codes, water heater insulation was increased causing the exterior jacket to increase and inch or two in height and width.
You would think the nipples to accommodate would be readily available then.

So I just went to 4 stores and could not find what I need. I did find one online so I guess I am waiting for shipping.
So if I get this item do I need anything special on the hot water side? I have CPVC pipe connected to a Stainless steel flex tube which connects to the steel nipple. No dissimilar material and a piped heat trap.

1662300735321.png

1662300775308.png

1662301056290.png

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ooh OK was not aware that was a thing...it is a Rheem XE50M06ST45U1 45 GALLON
I tried searching Rheem's parts site on that model number to see what the dip tube looks like but had no luck. I do see some of their dip tubes have a flare end which I assume seats in the bottom of the inlet port the nipple threads into. Look down inside the port and perhaps insert a curved wire to feel for what may be down there.

Reaction score
I tried searching Rheem's parts site on that model number to see what the dip tube looks like but had no luck. I do see some of their dip tubes have a flare end which I assume seats in the bottom of the inlet port the nipple threads into. Look down inside the port and perhaps insert a curved wire to feel for what may be down there.
I found what appears to be a universal manual ( it keeps saying "some models may have") that may or may not be showing what mine actually has in it...but you may be right...I will try as you say to determine if a tube is in there...really hard to see down 4" into the hole.

1662302788732.png

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I found what appears to be a universal manual ( it keeps saying "some models may have") that may or may not be showing what mine actually has in it...but you may be right...I will try as you say to determine if a tube is in there...really hard to see down 4" into the hole.
Their parts site wants a serial number in the search field. Perhaps if you entered that, it would show what you have versus may have.

I realize seeing down the hole might be difficult which was why I suggested feeling with a wire. Mind you, if it has an internal heat trap, it would likely prevent feeling with a wire. Maybe a call to their support would get you the answer you seek.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless your experiancing a problem , my bet is you do have a dip tube. how much electric it saves with the heat trap nipples I wouldnt know ? i dont assume its about saving money it could be just mandatory tree hugger stuff carbon foot print . If I was up and running Id leave it alone .
Dip tubes are important though , I trust they are installed never go looking for them if everything works proper

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Other than having a camera, shut the power off, drain the take and remove the heating elements. You should be able to see inside or feel with a wire that the dip tub is there.

Reaction score
Their parts site wants a serial number in the search field. Perhaps if you entered that, it would show what you have versus may have.

I realize seeing down the hole might be difficult which was why I suggested feeling with a wire. Mind you, if it has an internal heat trap, it would likely prevent feeling with a wire. Maybe a call to their support would get you the answer you seek.
I was able to see a bit of white plastic looking material at the bottom of the nipple with a flashlight and putting the wire down the hole it felt like the sides of the nipple continued on down below the top of the tank so I am going to go with the assumption it has a tube like in the picture from the manual.
Thanks guys, I think I am good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks