Rehau vs. Uponor?

Users who are viewing this thread

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
I am about to re-pipe my home. Started down the urn cinch clamp thinking then went to Zurn expansion. Both ended quickly when Zurn is not heavily carried in Atlanta. The 2 bigger retailers/supply shops seem to be PEX-A with one being mostly Uponor the other being Rehau. People that use Uponor seem to love it. The few posts on Rehau are the same.

I know Uponor has had issues lately nd pulled their red/blue pipe, but has me concerned in general. The plus for Uponor is the amount of Uponor branded valves, manifolds, fittings,, etc. that keeps me in a a fully Uponor warranty proof (to most extent possible).

Rehau seems to be the initial developer of PEX-A and one would thinks they have it perfected. I can get that in red/blue (oddly their white 3/4 is almost double the red/blue). Downside is they have limited options outside of tees and basic fittings.

Not looking to start a religious war, but am curios on the experiences good and bad with each?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We've been happy with Uponor, and fully certified.
We only allow Uponor certificate carrying plumbers to install. The Milwaukee expansion tool automatically rotates with every press, so I would not recommend unless you at least have the tool and are completely trained.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've been installing Uponor before it was even in our adopted code. Haven't looked back.

I installed Rehau in 1 home because the homeowner insisted on it. Its the same style of pipe with bit more complicated fittings. I haven't installed since they moved from brass fittings to plastic and I think the tool is simpler than when I did it. But the Uponor tool is still way simpler to use. And like Breplum mentions auto rotates.. I even have an auto rotate adapter for my handheld tool.

2nd vote for Uponor.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
I did purchase the Milwaukee tool and will practice on some pipe and fittings.Nothing against trained certified plumbers, but this looks fairly straight forward. With tools I am on target to be done for $3k vs. the $11k+ I have been quoted.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Uponor is the developer of PEX A. They are also Wirsbo. Same company.

PEX A is PEX A. If you like the selection of Uponor accessories then your question is answered.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did purchase the Milwaukee tool and will practice on some pipe and fittings.Nothing against trained certified plumbers, but this looks fairly straight forward. With tools I am on target to be done for $3k vs. the $11k+ I have been quoted.
3k can turn into 11 k + with some misinformation. Floods aren't cheap. Guess who won't honor a warranty by unqualified installers? Any company.

I think you could get some kind of certificate as a homeowner if you looked. Maybe not not sure on that one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With PEX, I've only used the Wirsbo, now called Uponor brand. I like the expansion fittings and the tool for that. When it first came out, it was a hand tool, now they have the rechargeable Milwaukee expander.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very limited experience with PEX and it was all uponor at the biggest job I've ever been on Hydronic heat in slab
I don't see much single family home new construction but what I do see is Uponor almost every single time. I'm guessing that in the bigger cities ands metro areas pinch, cinch, crimp or clamp just isn't done much by professionals Just my somewhat limited observation

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very limited experiance with pex and it was all uponor at the biggest job Ive ever been on Hydronic heat in slab
I dont see much single family home new construction but what I do see is Uponor almost every single time. Im guessing that in the bigger citys ands metro areas pinch, cinch, crimp or clamp just isnt done much by professionals Just my somewhat limited observation
This is the most true. Pros generally use uponor pex A. Not that the others are unsuitable just not as easy to work with while also having the goods as far as quality and selection of products to solve problems.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
3k can turn into 11 k + with some misinformation. Floods aren't cheap. Guess who won't honor a warranty by unqualified installers? Any company.

I think you could get some kind of certificate as a homeowner if you looked. Maybe not not sure on that one.

I get that and understand the risk. I have done all my own electrical work also over the years, other than main panel I paid electrician to do it.

I know that the shower valves I will probably call a plumber due to the tricky locations.

That said best I can tell reading the Uponor warranty there is nothing that precludes a homeowner from doing it and voiding the warranty.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I get that and understand the risk. I have done all my own electrical work also over the years, other than main panel I paid electrician to do it.

I know that the shower valves I will probably call a plumber due to the tricky locations.

That said best I can tell reading the Uponor warranty there is nothing that precludes a homeowner from doing it and voiding the warranty.

People underestimate the havoc a small drip or stream can do, just from simple things.

I think ordinarily someone who's extra handy, but not a plumber would hire a plumber and show them what your doing and show them what you want them to do and pay them accordingly. If you developed a relationship with the plumber and you are hiring him to do a portion of the work I'm sure he'd walk through it with you when your done with your portion and let you know if he see's any red flags. Basically have the plumber sign off and be available for circumstances you might not be aware of.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
just wanted to point out that Dewalt also makes the same autoexpander tool for Uponor fittings that Milwaukee makes. Its what I got because I already had a bunch of dewalt batteries and wasn't about to purchase Milwaukee batteries too for one tool. Its my understanding that it is an Uponor design that they license to Milwaukee and Dewalt.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
People underestimate the havoc a small drip or stream can do, just from simple things.

I think ordinarily someone who's extra handy, but not a plumber would hire a plumber and show them what your doing and show them what you want them to do and pay them accordingly. If you developed a relationship with the plumber and you are hiring him to do a portion of the work I'm sure he'd walk through it with you when your done with your portion and let you know if he see's any red flags. Basically have the plumber sign off and be available for circumstances you might not be aware of.

I may do that, I have one plumber I have used for work I wouldn't bother with becasue it was copper and they would come out and be done in 15 minutes with the Propress.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
just wanted to point out that Dewalt also makes the same autoexpander tool for Uponor fittings that Milwaukee makes. Its what I got because I already had a bunch of dewalt batteries and wasn't about to purchase Milwaukee batteries too for one tool. Its my understanding that it is an Uponor design that they license to Milwaukee and Dewalt.

Yeah, I am a Dewalt person, but their tool is backordered for a month or more lead time. I found one tool only, but the price was more than the kit.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Yeah, I am a Dewalt person, but their tool is backordered for a month or more lead time. I found one tool only, but the price was more than the kit.
think i got mine used on ebay as a bare tool, expander heads, and case (no battery). lots of new of lightly used bare tools on ebay with batteries stripped out because batteries command more money and people sell individually

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Its my understanding that it is an Uponor design that they license to Milwaukee and Dewalt.

The powered expansion tool program was actually a partnership between Uponor and Milwaukee. Uponor had the manual tool but Milwaukee worked with Uponor to design the powered tools.

In any case, the DeWalt is just as good as the Milwaukee and the choice between them is often what the plumber already has as a battery system.

John

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I did purchase the Milwaukee tool and will practice on some pipe and fittings. Nothing against trained certified plumbers, but this looks fairly straight forward. With tools I am on target to be done for $3k vs. the $11k+ I have been quoted.
I am not a plumber. I do my own work tho. One thing that I do not think gets covered enough in the manuals it the degree to which you get expansion on the hot line. You really need to be careful protect any fittings that might get stressed when a pipe expands and bows. Also, you need to think about what the expansion might cause the PEX to rub against.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
Spec is 1 inch per 100ft per 10F change. I do have a concern since my two is 55F and I run my hot water at 140F. I have been reading the Uponor and Rehau docs on how to run the pipe and to account for expansion. Because of my basement ceiling I will be building a trough and lay the pipes in there.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Spec is 1 inch per 100ft per 10F change. I do have a concern since my two is 55F and I run my hot water at 140F. I have been reading the Uponor and Rehau docs on how to run the pipe and to account for expansion. Because of my basement ceiling I will be building a trough and lay the pipes in there.
Tension on the plastic fittings is one of the main concerns with this. A tile guy froze some penetrations and I offered to fix it. That was a mistake. The pipe had already expanded and had the fitting ready to break. Next one to touch it broke it. I was the next one. Third floor of a hotel 1.25" heating line pipe bursting at 50 psi.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score

You need to watch it on even shorter runs too. For example, I had some 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 tees coming up out of the floor and then turning left to go a vanity (about 16 inches up). The third 1/2 branch went up to the next floor and had about 7 feet of pipe above. When I would turn on the hot water on the floor above, I could see it was really going to work on the fitting on the top of the tee. I added some supports to take the stress off of that connection. I have been very mindful of it ever since. Like I said, I am not a plumber, but wanted to flag this for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks