Reglaze Fiberglass tubs??

Users who are viewing this thread

beachgirl24

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time on these boards. My husband and I are preparing our house to sell. Our spare bathroom (used mostly by my 2 daughters) needs some help. It has one of those 1-piece fiberglass tubs/wall units. It obviously had shower doors at one time because there are holes and scratches left from the poor removal. There are also skidproof flowers stuck to the bottom. We really need to update the bathroom without spending a ton of money. The thought of ripping the whole thing out and putting in a new tub and tile just doesn't appeal to me too much. Is it possible to have the whole thing reglazed? My husband is very handy--more than most guys, but tile is really not his thing, so I would have to hire someone to do it. Your experienced opinions are appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could replace it with a three-piece job. People here seem to like those made by Sterling. I've not really done anything with them, so I can't say. Some of them are just cheap. Some are decent. You'd want to update the valve assembly to a pressure balanced version for current code requirements in the process - a good selling point, too. Tearing out the old one isn't too bad, basically, cut it up into manageable pieces. The edges are under the drywall, so you will need to patch that.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
beachgirl24 said:
... one of those 1-piece fiberglass tubs/wall units ... holes and scratches ... skidproof flowers stuck to the bottom ... Is it possible to have the whole thing reglazed?

Not actually "reglazed", as this is only a fiberglass gel-coat finish. But yes, the unit *could* be refinished for less than the cost of replacement.

Other than the matter of the sticky flowers, my wife and I have exactly the same situation here in our unfinished basement bath -- we got the tub unit for free -- and this is essentially what I plan to do:

After beveling (dishing) them with something like a small countersink tool for flat-head screws, those holes can be filled, sanded and surface-finished with auto-body spot putty, and mineral spirits or something like "Goo Gone" will likely help get rid of those flowers. At that point, it is just a matter of doing the necessary prep work and masking for a good paint job, and that includes sanding all the shine off the unit's surface. The best finish you can get will likely be that of a sprayed acrylic, and white will do the best job of hiding minor irregularities in the painted surface ... then drop in a nice, new no-slip mat with suction cups on the bottom.

Last edited:

kc567567

Reaction score
beachgirl24 said:
.... There are also skidproof flowers stuck to the bottom. We really need to update the bathroom without spending a ton of money. The thought of ripping the whole thing out and putting in a new tub and tile just doesn't appeal to me too much. .....

It took my contractor 9 full hours to rip mine out ..... and he's done it before .... don't go there if your moving. A new tub/shower and walls would cost you thousands with labour factored in.

My understanding is that you can only resurface the steel tubs.

Re-Paint walls and buy a big "rubber non-slip tub mat" to cover the flowers!!!!

I think, in this case, just lower your bottom selling price by $1000 and let the new owner worry about it.

KC

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
kc567567 said:
My understanding is that you can only resurface the steel tubs ...

Sure, porcelain surfaces can be re-glazed, and it is even possible, although not inexpensive, to re-gel a fiberglass surface. A quality acrylic coating can be applied to just about anything, however, and if properly done, will be just a durable as the original.

Tintcutter

Reaction score
I have no experience with tub overlays, but I know they are made. Maybe you could buy one that fits and pop it over your existing tub unless it is the same money or close to the cost of doing it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks