Refrigerator ice maker supply line and metallic taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Themp

Reaction score
Bought a new refrigerator and purchased this supply line from Lowes to connect for the ice maker. There is no water filter on this refrigerator. My old refrigerator had the old style opaque plastic supply line.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-5-...t-Stainless-Steel-Ice-Maker-Connector/3190917

With the above supply line, the ice tasted metallic. We let it produce ice for at least 3 weeks(dumping each day what was produced) and no change. I removed the supply line and replaced it with what the installation folks gave me when they delivered the refrigerator and the taste immediately went away:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-...PVC-Icemaker-Supply-Line-PBCC120-44/100001828

I also did some testing prior to replacing the line by making ice with ice trays from water from my kitchen faucet and also by running water from the stainless steel line(disconnected one end from the refrigerator) into a pitcher and then making ice in the trays. Both cases the ice tasted fine.

So, I am at a loss as to why the stainless steel line caused the problem, other than some kind of electrolysis( galvanic corrosion) that was happening. Meaning my house is plumbed in copper. The valve at the wall for the ice maker water supply is brass from 1984. And the stainless steel line allowed self induced current to flow to the refrigerator(the connector/valve at the refrigerator was brass also, mounted to the refrigerator metal frame). The replacement line is PVC and no current could flow and thus the refrigerator is isolated.

Any other ideas on this?

Reach4

Reaction score
So, I am at a loss as to why the stainless steel line caused the problem, other than some kind of electrolysis( galvanic corrosion) that was happening.
The braided stainless only covers a rubber/plastic part that actually carries the water. If you did not return the part, you could cut it open to see the insides.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks