Refrigerant

Users who are viewing this thread

dorlando

Reaction score
Can 2 or 3 ounces of refrigerant make a difference? I had an inspection performed on my unit and when the tech removed his gauge there was a mist cloud of I assume freon escaping for a couple of seconds. Since then it seems my efficiency has
gone down a little

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No. It's barely measurable and it happens all the time. AC systems use a schrader valve that has threads and it is impossible not to have any lost when servicing. If you look on the name plate of the compressor unit it may take 19 lbs or so of refrigerant, an ounce or two won't make a difference.

This weeks weather is extremely humid and over 90 degrees everyday. High humidity takes more energy to cool the air because the house humidity also goes up. If you have a thermometer that tech use with a long needle like probe, it gets poked into the fiberglass ductwork just above the air handler. It should read between 10-15 degrees cooler than the incoming air. It is a little test that you can do. But if the tech had gauges on it and he didn't need to add refrigerant, the coils and filter are clean, your system is good. If it needed refrigerant he would have mentioned it since it is a money maker for AC service companies. If it is a R22 refrigerant, outlawed, you'll need to remortgage the house, R410a, it is the standard and affordable.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Servicing current, existing equipment is still acceptable if there is an available supply of R22. ... Only recycled R22 refrigerant will be available to service existing air conditioners after 2020

Fitter30

Reaction score
Temperature difference across a air handler or furnace is 18*-24*, suction line at condenser should be cold and sweating. When measuring the temperature use a pocket style thermometer not a non contact. Measure temp by filter and 24" from air handler cabinet . Your 10+ year old system is 10 seer a new system would be a minimum 14 seer. Heres a calculator for payback when entering electric cost figger with taxes.
https://www.seerenergysavings.com

dorlando

Reaction score
My split is 20.2 in the morning and 19 or so in the heat of the day. Different techs I have used have said 17-20 is the ideal range

dorlando

Reaction score
If you have your system checked once a year I assume you may need a little freon eventually since some is lost each time?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Your electric company might offer a energy audit which includes a blower door test ( tell how tight is house is) .
Hows the insulation, window and doors weather stripping? Attic vents screens open and not plugged up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks