Reducing pH of well water

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by beets, May 15, 2019.

1. beets

beets New Member

We like to garden. Unfortunately we have alkaline soil and alkaline well water. So we get "chlorosis" of the leaves where they turn yellow and have dark green veins. Many plants don't do well. I've thought about trying to amend the soil, but if I'm watering with alkaline water, then I'm not going to gain much for long. That brings me to my question. Does anyone intentionally treat their well water to lower the pH? If so, how do they do it? This well water is also our drinking water. My water analysis is below.

pH = 8.6
    Conductivity = 651 uS/cm
    Na = 148.6 mg/L
    K = 0.34 mg/L
    Ca = 2.88 mg/L
    Mg = 0.49 mg/L
    Total Hardness (CaCO3) = 9.2 mg/L
    Fe = 0 mg/L
    Total Alkalinity (CaCO3) = 273.8 mg/L
    Carbonate = 302.7 mg/L
    Hydroxide = 0 mg/L
    Chloride = 3.2 mg/L
    Flouride = 6.5 mg/L
    Nitrite = 0 mg/L
    Nitrate = 0 mg/L
    Sulfate = 44 mg/L
    TDS = 370.29 mg/L

2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    A dealkalizer used to be a common treatment method. Since your pH is minimally high, a simple acid injection system might be a good solution.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. beets

beets New Member

Thank you. Are you able to describe what the pros and cons are of an acid system? What type of acid? Is it "food grade". Thank you.

5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    I prefer starting with citric acid injection. Since it is food grade it is usually considered by the homeowners to be "safe" when compared to other common acids used for injection. Acetic acid (vinegar) is a bit weak for many applications, and hydrochloric and sulfuric acids are considered "unsafe" for most non trained people to work with.