Reducing pH of well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
We like to garden. Unfortunately we have alkaline soil and alkaline well water. So we get "chlorosis" of the leaves where they turn yellow and have dark green veins. Many plants don't do well. I've thought about trying to amend the soil, but if I'm watering with alkaline water, then I'm not going to gain much for long. That brings me to my question. Does anyone intentionally treat their well water to lower the pH? If so, how do they do it? This well water is also our drinking water. My water analysis is below.

pH = 8.6
Conductivity = 651 uS/cm
Na = 148.6 mg/L
K = 0.34 mg/L
Ca = 2.88 mg/L
Mg = 0.49 mg/L
Total Hardness (CaCO3) = 9.2 mg/L
Fe = 0 mg/L
Total Alkalinity (CaCO3) = 273.8 mg/L
Carbonate = 302.7 mg/L
Hydroxide = 0 mg/L
Chloride = 3.2 mg/L
Flouride = 6.5 mg/L
Nitrite = 0 mg/L
Nitrate = 0 mg/L
Sulfate = 44 mg/L
TDS = 370.29 mg/L

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A dealkalizer used to be a common treatment method. Since your pH is minimally high, a simple acid injection system might be a good solution.

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you. Are you able to describe what the pros and cons are of an acid system? What type of acid? Is it "food grade". Thank you.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I prefer starting with citric acid injection. Since it is food grade it is usually considered by the homeowners to be "safe" when compared to other common acids used for injection. Acetic acid (vinegar) is a bit weak for many applications, and hydrochloric and sulfuric acids are considered "unsafe" for most non trained people to work with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks