Reduced hot water flow in Moen single push/pull knob tub & shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Rebecca Huss

Reaction score
Hello,

Hoping someone can lend some advice.

We just bought an older house - built in 1975. There is a single handle push/pull Moen tub/shower combo in the master bath. The sink (which is close to the plumbing for the shower, runs beautifully).

When the knob is turned to the hot water side, the hot water pressure reduces to almost a trickle. It is both the tub spout and the shower head. This has come and gone twice since we moved in.

The valve for the shower is not on the faucet head. It is below the handle. I've never seen one like it before, but it is in both bathrooms of the house, so I assume it is normal.

Before I begin... we have experience with this type of shower and the first thing we did was shut off the water, pull the cartridge, turned the water back on to blast out any sediment, and then subsequently replaced the cartridge with a brand new one. Things were a better after that - for about 2 weeks. Now, we are back to almost a trickle. To my knowledge, almost nothing came out when we blasted it out - unless it was something invisible.

We are stumped and hoping we can fix it ourselves. I doubt it's anything to do with the hot water heater, since we have perfect hot water flow to every other faucet in the house.

Appreciate the help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What decade was the home built? Does it have galvanized pipes? Those can close up over time, especially on the hot side.
Or it could be the cartridge again. Or I have also seen a small plastic ball on the hot inlet, a part of a heat trap for a water heater. Only once though.

moen-2600-parts.jpg

Rebecca Huss

Reaction score
The pipes attached the the shower valve are copper as far as I can see.

The house was built in 1975. The assembly is like the one pictured above, except it is a push pin diverter to switch between the tub spout and the shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks