Reduce sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Edge

Reaction score
I'm in Florida and have a drain question. I'm finishing out the inside of a detached workshop. In the 'she cave' side, there will be a sink base with a standard kitchen sink. The drain in the slab is 2". The framed walls are 2" x 4". I know at some point it will have to be reduced.
The drain didn't turn up in the right spot for the sink, so I will have to run over through the wall about 4' to get to where the sink will be.
Will I violate any codes by reducing where it stubs through the floor? Or should I get it to the sink and then reduce?
It doesn't really matter to me other than when I hole saw a 2" through the wood there won't be much left on each side of the hole. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A kitchen sink is 2" waste line, a 1.5" trap and trap arm, and 1.5" vent.
A 1.5" trap can go 42" to the vent.

A hole for 2" pipe is 2-9/16"
A hole for 1.5" pipe can be 2-1/8"

Randy Edge

Reaction score
So I need to extend as a 2" over to where it exits the wall for the sink, then reduce to 1.5"? And I need to plan a vent there as well? Would an AAV under the sink work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So I need to extend as a 2" over to where it exits the wall for the sink, then reduce to 1.5"? And I need to plan a vent there as well? Would an AAV under the sink work?

An AAV under the sink works as a vent since you have an vent through the roof other places.
At least 4" above the trap arm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks