Redrilling old well

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmbott

Reaction score
Hi my current well is 62 feet deep its 50yrs old and started slowing down . I was told to drill deeper in current well . Anyone have experience or knowledge of this . Hoping this works and dont have to drill a whole new new well

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Usually harder and more expensive to try and drill a well deeper than to move over and drill a new well. But if the casing can be pulled and you can find a good driller it is possible. I have only done this when there was absolutely no other place to get water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi my current well is 62 feet deep its 50yrs old and started slowing down . I was told to drill deeper in current well . Anyone have experience or knowledge of this . Hoping this works and dont have to drill a whole new new well
Is the water good from that well? You may be able to clean out the old well, or boost production some other way.

I presume slowing down means you run out of water.

Bmbott

Reaction score
Is the water good from that well? You may be able to clean out the old well, or boost production some other way.

I presume slowing down means you run out of water.

Yes . Water recovery is slower .water has iron. But never ran out

Bmbott

Reaction score
Usually harder and more expensive to try and drill a well deeper than to move over and drill a new well. But if the casing can be pulled and you can find a good driller it is possible. I have only done this when there was absolutely no other place to get water.

Seems easier to go down say 40ft with same well being it is only 62 ft And add wire and pipe then to redo plumbing from house to well ..

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes . Water recovery is slower .water has iron. But never ran out
So in that case, I would think the pump is getting weak/slow, rather than the well getting slower

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Seems easier to go down say 40ft with same well being it is only 62 ft And add wire and pipe then to redo plumbing from house to well ..

So, the pump is not already set close to 62' deep at the bottom of the well? If there is any well left then yes you can add some pipe and wire to set the pump deeper. If the pump is already as deep as you can get it, doing some well rehab and cleaning up the iron maybe all you have to do.

Bmbott

Reaction score
So, the pump is not already set close to 62' deep at the bottom of the well? If there is any well left then yes you can add some pipe and wire to set the pump deeper. If the pump is already as deep as you can get it, doing some well rehab and cleaning up the iron maybe all you have to do.
That's what I'm thinking also. No it's 4ft from bottom. Just had new pump installed that's how i found out that the well is slow to recover. New pump is much faster then the old one ..

Wisciherb

Reaction score
have you enquired about the current well being bailed?
Is your well a screened well or does it terminate in bedrock? If it's screened you can try acid treatment to clean the well screen ( only on pvc or stainless steel screens) I have had pretty good luck doing that. For older wells with steel or galvanized you take your chances it may eat up the screen and cause the well to pump sand. Google a product called nu well. Hope this helps.

Bmbott

Reaction score
Is your well a screened well or does it terminate in bedrock? If it's screened you can try acid treatment to clean the well screen ( only on pvc or stainless steel screens) I have had pretty good luck doing that. For older wells with steel or galvanized you take your chances it may eat up the screen and cause the well to pump sand. Google a product called nu well. Hope this helps.
I don't understand what u mean by screen or terminated? It's a submersible 1/2 hp well pump. Single line with pump in well

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Some wells are cased to the bottom. Some "terminate" the casing about 20' down when they hit rock, and the rest of the well is not cased. If clogged well screen is your problem chemical treatment will help. Haven't tried nuwell tabs in anything except sand points. Normally I would use products from Cotey Chemical and a surge brush to clean metal or PVC screens.

How much water is your well making now? Why do you think it is slow?

Bmbott

Reaction score
Some wells are cased to the bottom. Some "terminate" the casing about 20' down when they hit rock, and the rest of the well is not cased. If clogged well screen is your problem chemical treatment will help. Haven't tried nuwell tabs in anything except sand points. Normally I would use products from Cotey Chemical and a surge brush to clean metal or PVC screens.

How much water is your well making now? Why do you think it is slow?
Ok thanks.. it's making 6 or 7 gpm. But slow to recover . Think the well just needs drilled deeper to clean it up .. it is pretty shallow depth on avg

Bmbott

Reaction score
Any truth to someone drilling close to u making a new well can take ur water. My neighbor recently installed new well . Might be coincedense..

Reach4

Reaction score
Any truth to someone drilling close to u making a new well can take ur water. My neighbor recently installed new well . Might be coincedense..
Irrigating, so using a lot of water?

If nothing else, a deeper and/or wider well will have more storage, and may take in water faster. But if the well used to provide fast-enough recovery, then the rejuvenation may be a great choice.

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had this happen to FIL trailer court years ago a farm sold next to the trailer court houses started going up and wells drilled and the trailer court's wells ran out of water and new deeper wells had to be drilled to get the water going again at the trailer court.

Bmbott

Reaction score
Irrigating, so using a lot of water?

If nothing else, a deeper and/or wider well will have more storage, and may take in water faster. But if the well used to provide fast-enough recovery, then the rejuvenation may be a great choice.
Thanks

Bmbott

Reaction score
Had this happen to FIL trailer court years ago a farm sold next to the trailer court houses started going up and wells drilled and the trailer court's wells ran out of water and new deeper wells had to be drilled to get the water going again at the trailer court.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Try this search in a search engine: well rehabilitation

One of the thing that will turn up is https://waterwelljournal.com/well-pump-rehabilitation-4/
It states
A well should generally receive some type of maintenance if the relative yield or specific capacity falls to or is more than 2%-5% from its new or previously tested state. It should be rehabilitated if the relative yield or specific capacity declines more than 15%-20% from its previous condition. Any drop more than the values just stated can result in a “situation of no return” where the best and most aggressive rehabilitation techniques may not be capable of recovering more than 75%-80% of the original yield.​
With a 60 or 70 ft deep well, that would make the cost percents higher I would think. Many wells are much deeper.

The fact that your pump is set so close to the bottom would tend to say this was never a great producer.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is very possible for neighboring wells to be reducing your water supply. One or two is usually not noticed, but a mobile home park with dozens or hundreds of new wells can make a big difference. We have problems in our area with new subdivisions moving in next to a big cotton farm. Everything is fine until about March when the irrigation wells all get turned on. That is when the screaming begins. What we would do is drill through the sand aquifer into the clay. Usually we would stop there. But we would change bits and go on down in the clay about 20' and set the casing accordingly. This does not supply more volume of water, but puts your pump below the water that is available. Even if there is only 4" of water left in the aquifer, your pump is 20' deeper and able to draw water when the neighbors cannot.

Every area is different though. You might drill your well 20' deeper and drill through the bedrock, letting what water you have flush down to a deeper aquafer. Most likely what water you have comes from above 62', which is why the well was drilled that way. In that case drilling deeper won't get you any more water, but might make a good sump like we do here when needed.

One thing for sure is a well that makes iron is going to need rehab. Not one of my specialties, but there are people who can acidize, swab, bail, and clean that well like it was new. Regular treatment could also keep the problem from building up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks