Redesign of a jack & Jill bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to redo my bathroom in a condo that we absolutely hate. I have attached a picture of the area, were you have two half baths with a shower area in the middle. The top pictures is the current state, and the bottom is my idea of what a good design will be. My goal is to try to make 2 full baths out of a current 1.5 bathroom setup. The doors drive me crazy, as it makes the a small area seem even smaller. If we get rid of the 2 interior doors, and make shower wall A& B just a piece of glass, versus drywall, and stub, we would save much room. I know that the drain for the shower is going to have to be a tricky part, as it is a condo. We do have access from below, as we are on the 2nd floor, and below is the parking garage. My idea is that we would have 2 linear drains that could drain down to the same pipe that would be on the shared wall between the shower areas. I was thinking of having a piece of frosted glass between the 2 shower areas, to save on space, andd make the shower area as big as possible. Any thoughts.

bathroomtest.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless you make the two showers with a single "pan" with the glass panel as a divider, you will have a very difficult time making them "leakproof". Most condo associations would want the work done by a licensed contracor complete with permits and inspections.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Two baths out of one 1.5" waste line (old tub line).

I hope you are friendly with the neighbours below your suite. And they don't mind you busting up their ceiling so you can have your extra shower...

Spfrancis

Reaction score
jh,
Yeah, I was thinking of making it a single pan, and just a divider sitting between the 2 areas. I'm almost thinking the glass wouldn't even need to sit on the ground but be 1/2 inch off of the floor. I wouldn't think that would be a big privacy thing.

John, to your comment about flooring. Yeah it wouldn't work if we weren't on the 2nd floor, and below us is the open garage. our neighbor did something similar, where he made the one side a powder room, and the other side a larger shower area. He was able to get access to the concrete in his shower floor, to move the drain lines to a different spot.

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I would put the linear drains near the wall A and B .

Is the glass divider going all the way to the ceiling ?

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Roberto,
Yeah my thought was to have the glass divider go to the ceiling, and to the side walls. My thought was to keep the bottom of the glass divider off of the floor to let water flow into a common drain, and also not have to deal with the slope of the floor. My thought was to do clear glass on the small sections below A&B, to make the room look biger. My wife isn't crazy about clear glass, as you could have someone sitting on the can while someone else is showering. The size of the bathroom, I just don't see it being used that efficiently.. :)
I really like the use of linear drains, if I can have both drains got to a common spot for draining.
John, is there any particular drain to look at for this application?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks