Redesign kitchen sink drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pvs57, Sep 16, 2020.

1. pvs57

pvs57 New Member

Currently my kitchen sink drain goes along the wall through a cabinet to the right of the sink and into the wall into a vent stack (to the roof) and drains down below the floor joists. This 3" drain below the joists in the basement goes to the left of the sink to the house main stack. I am remodeling the kitchen and want to put the dishwasher to the right of the sink but since the 2" drain is outside the wall it restricts the DW to be pushed all the way in. Can I just drain down directly to the drain in the basement below the floor and keeps the rest of the vent design as it is?

Attached Files:

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Untitled.png
    Its totally acceptable to run your sink to the horizontal drain. You need to vent the sink trap. The vent should connect to the vent stack a minimum of 6" above the flood level of the fixture its serving.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Haven't heard from you in awhile. T.R. Welcome back.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  5. Tuttles Revenge

SWAMPED..

6. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Me too.

7. pvs57

pvs57 New Member

Thank you for your quick response. But by putting the vent as you drawn, still requires a pipe to pass in behind the dishwasher and it might prevent it from being pushed all the way in. I was hoping there was a way to not have any plumbing in behind the dishwasher.

8. Tuttles Revenge

The best scenario the vent pipe would be drilled through the studs behind the dishwasher to connect to the vent stack.

Second best and if your jurisdiction allows the use of an Air Admittance Valve (AAV / Studor Vent) which breaks the siphon caused by water draining through the p-trap.

You need some form of air movement while still keeping the sewer gasses from entering your home.

9. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    The best way for this situation is to use an AAV (https://www.oatey.com/) and you'll need to bring the trap arm to either corner of the kitchen cabinet and drill down into basement. Install the AAV at least 4" above the sanitee. Be sure that the trap arm is at least 3" long before connecting to the tee. The only hassel might be the drain line below the floor. If it is PVC, easy, if it's galvanized or cast iron, that will take some doing.

Do bring the drain to the corner of the cabinet and not straight back. If you get a new faucet with a pull out sprayhead, the weight for the hose to the spray head will be straight down in the center of the cabinet and it will hit a drain when they are centered to the back wall of the cabinet. The Oatley website has a simple video on how to install an AAV.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  10. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

AAVs are not approved in Massachusetts, to my understanding.

Cheers, Wayne

11. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

classic problem . Ive never had luxury to use aav to solve it certainly easy though. In past Ive notched dry wall , and framing pushing pipe just enough to clear , moved waste to other side of window, and even island vented the kitchen sink. I really dont know if an aav always flys with inspectors to this day in my area. but to much of the country they use them constantly with no problem passing inspection

12. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  13. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

10.16(16) is titled "Venting of Sumps and Ejectors". So I don't think anything there applies outside of sump and ejectors.

Cheers, Wayne