Red Seal Exam

Users who are viewing this thread

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
So I am having my first crack at the Red Seal IP plumbing exam this coming Friday and I am nervous as hell. Has anyone written the exam recently? Does anyone have any tips? I still have 5 more days out at school that is purely review time. I feel like I know the code book very good but some the non-residential stuff may really get me. Also everything I work on is in the the city so I have to do a crash refresher on my pumps and rural waste systems for sure. So if this is a bit of a ramble but I am just being nervous and am trying to start a thread to getting some tips.

I think I have the math, DWV, water sizing and most of the code book down pretty good. It's open book code. I don't know it inside out with regard to exact numbers but I know exactly how the book is organized and know where to find things.

Oh man am I nervous.
haha

Asktom

Reaction score
Don't know your test, but I assume it is multiple choice. If it is a paper test (not on computer), I have a technique for you. Go through the test and answer the ones you know flat out. The questions you think you could answer if you thought about it for a while, put a light + sign next to. The questions where you don't have a clue, put a - sign next to. Once you have answered the slam dunk questions, go back and do the +s. When they are done do the -s.

Go get 'em!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So I am having my first crack at the Red Seal IP plumbing exam this coming Friday and I am nervous as hell. Has anyone written the exam recently? Does anyone have any tips? I still have 5 more days out at school that is purely review time. I feel like I know the code book very good but some the non-residential stuff may really get me. Also everything I work on is in the the city so I have to do a crash refresher on my pumps and rural waste systems for sure. So if this is a bit of a ramble but I am just being nervous and am trying to start a thread to getting some tips.

I think I have the math, DWV, water sizing and most of the code book down pretty good. It's open book code. I don't know it inside out with regard to exact numbers but I know exactly how the book is organized and know where to find things.

Oh man am I nervous.
haha

I'm not going to lie to you it was actually quite a hard test. Many people fail the first go around. When I was in school the class that went through before me had a 79% fail rate!!!!!!!! My class wasn't that bad but still quite a few of them failed.

The thing about the IP test is that you get questions out of left field that no matter how much or how hard you study you won't know the answer to the question unless you've had real world experience in whatever they are asking you.

I would say that you should consider probably about 5% of the test to be questions like this. Your teacher *SHOULD* give you a rough percentage of whats dedicated to what on the exam. Like on my IP I got asked a question about a cooling tower. Well in BC here plumbers don't do cooling at all and there was nothign about that in my notes etc because its not even studied here.

The thing with the IP is that as long as 70% of the provinces plumbers perform a specific task it's eligible to asked about on the IP.

The other thing with the IP is that you can study a bunch of one thing and only get asked 2 or 3 questions on it. So you have to study EVERYTHING well and know a good portion about everything. So don't study too much of the stuff you already know very well.

One thing I did to save time was put TABS into my code book so that I could find each section easier. This helped quite a bit because you don't get that much time per question. I think it's 115 questions and you get 2 hours to write it. But don't quote me on that because I don't remember the exact numbers.

Anyway study hard and FOCUS when you're doing the test. Everyone has their own method of writting tests so stick to what you know and are good at. For me I just go through the questions one at a time and if I get stuck on a question I somehow mark the test so I come back to the question and I keep going. No sense in wasting time on questons you're just guessing at!

GOOD LUCK!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Doherty:>>>I'm not going to lie to you it was actually quite a hard test.<<<

I'm probably dating myself, but my original test was 100 questions, no open book, no calculator, no multiple choice and the answers had to be written out in long hand, bamboo pipe had just been taken off the questions ;)

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
125 questions, 4 hours, gov't issued pencil, eraser, code book, calculator

I think I'm coming down with information overload now. Some stuff just doesn't stick too well when you aren't working on it all the time. I mean I rarely work on private water and waste systems in the city and I don't really come across many swimming pools here in Newfoundland hahahha

Thanks so far for the littles bits of information guys.
I'll get the break down of the exam and post it tomorrrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks