Recommended Tank Water Level Before Refill?

Users who are viewing this thread

huttarl

Reaction score
When replacing a flush valve, the replacement flush valve instructions say: before removing the old flush valve, mark the existing water level in the tank after the flush valve closes, before the tank refills. But in my case, the old flush valve is broken -- that's why I'm replacing it! :) The old flush valve doesn't open or close unless I make it do so.

So, how do I figure out the recommended after-flush water level in the tank? The toilet is the AS Champion 4 (model 4260). I'm replacing the original flush valve with a Korky 5030BP.

(See earlier post https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-flush-valve-american-standard-champion.65304 if you want more context.)

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
An inch below the overflow is usually a good place to start.

huttarl

Reaction score
An inch below the overflow is usually a good place to start.
I thought that was the recommended level *before* flushing.

The instructions have a diagram showing a water level somewhere maybe around 2-3" from the bottom of the tank... it's hard to tell for sure. Can I just guesstimate or does it matter?

(This Korky video: http://www.korky.com/flush-valves-kits/large-3-adjustable-flush-valve-tank-bowl-gasket-kit says the after-flush water level needs to be within 1/2" of what it was originally.)

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought that was the recommended level *before* flushing.

The instructions have a diagram showing a water level somewhere maybe around 2-3" from the bottom of the tank... it's hard to tell for sure. Can I just guesstimate or does it matter?
I was thinking of the flush being the time from when you pushed the level to when the refill stopped. With that interpretation the level before and after flushing would be the same.

I did not find the 3050BP. http://www.korky.com/site-search?search_api_views_fulltext=3050BP
I now think you are asking how low the water in the tank should drop before the flush valve closes. Sorry.

huttarl

Reaction score
You're right, my question wasn't that clear. I've updated it to add "before the tank refills." The way the Korky instructions put it was, shut off the water supply, and record the water level after the flush valve closes.

Also, I got the part number wrong! It's 5030BP. Hope I didn't waste much of your time.

As far as I can tell, it's identical to the 5030 that's shown here: http://www.korky.com/flush-valves-kits/large-3-adjustable-flush-valve-tank-bowl-gasket-kit
but I don't know what the BP means. The installation instructions that came with the 5030BP say "5030" (no BP) at the top, so I believe they're substantially the same.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have the old original Champion flush valve, you could measure how tall that one is and match it.
The height of the overflow tube on the flush valve should be at least 1" below the square hole in the tank for the flush lever. You don't want water escaping through the handle.
The overflow tube height can adjust after installation.
The flapper is adjustable for timing the float by rotating the white band. This determines how much water leaves the tank when you push and release the handle. The Champion is a 1.28 GPF toilet, so not very much water leaves the tank.

huttarl

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. So in order for not very much water to leave the tank, that means the water level after flush & before refill should be fairly high? In theory, could I find the level by removing a gallon and a quart of water from the full tank (with the water supply turned off)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would place the top of the overflow tube 1" below the handle.
Then I would rotate the white band on the flapper so that the water leaving the tank would drop about 3" during the flush. You can play with that to get the flush how you like it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, at least I understand your question.

Because I have seen the video and instructions you are talking about.

You want to know how low the water column in the toilet should go before the flapper closes. Because different toilets handle this differently.

Set it to close about 5" off the bottom of the toilet tank, and the refill to shut off about 1-3/4" below the handle hole, with the top of the overflow set at 1" below the the handle. As Terry says, this should make the water column drop about 3" open-to-close.

It's an art, not a science, so these measurements don't have to be exact. If you want a little more water in the flush, either raise the fill level a little, or drop the level at which the flapper closes a bit.

huttarl

Reaction score
BTW I believe the repair was successful. Will be doing a followup check today for any leaks. Thanks again for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks