Recommended program settings for Fleck 7000SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

opto_isolator

Reaction score
After much discussion here - I ordered a 2 cu ft unit due to the size of our house, as well as for future considerations (I don't want to have to buy a new resin tank to keep up with the SFR). I measured the water in our neighborhood and it came out to 12 grains (previously, I had measured the water in the house we were staying - which is only 5 miles away from our new house, but in a different city). There is 0 iron. This will be sized for 3 people. Based on calculations on Gary's web site he shows a total hardness capacity of 17,280. Based on his chart, it looks like I can use 5 lbs of salt per cu ft of resin - to reach 18,200. If I set the softener to 32k (which would be 1 cu ft), it should be 5 lbs of salt every 8 days. We wouldn't be using up the entire capacity of the 2 cu ft of resin, understandably, but will have enough for future capacity. I ordered from Ohiopurewater, good price - got the top basket and gravel bed. What settings should I set when the unit arrives? I copied the defaults from what I saw, and made changes to the "C," "H," and "DO" settings - but nothing else. Can anyone recommend what if any changes I should make from the defaults?

DF: GAL
VT: St2b (Standard Downflow/Upflow Double Backwash)
CT: Fd (Meter Flow Delayed)
C: 32k (capacity)
H: 12 (hardness)
RS: SF (Percentage Safety Factor)
SF: 20 percent
DO: 8 (Day override)
RT: 2:00AM
BW: 10 mins (back wash)
BD: 60 mins (brine draw)
BD: 40 (salt time setting)
RR: 10 mins (rapid rinse)
BF: 10 mins
FM: t1.2 - 1.5'' Turbine Meter (7000 default)

Reach4

Reaction score
C=32k says you are allowing up to 32000 grains of hardness before regen. That sounds reasonable with a lighter salt amount.
What is that 17,280 number? Is that a per-cf number?

For BD, you will want to know the .BLFC Button value. Look for a label. I think you plan on 10 pounds of salt for each regen. That corresponds to 3.3 gallons of water for refill. With BLFC Button=0.50 gpm, you would want 6.6 ( BD=7) minutes, or 13.2 minutes (BF=13) with a 0.25 gpm button.

Just some comments. I have not gone through everything. I am just an amateur.

opto_isolator

Reaction score
C=32k says you are allowing up to 32000 grains of hardness before regen. That sounds reasonable with a lighter salt amount.
What is that 17,280 number? Is that a per-cf number?

For BD, you will want to know the .BLFC Button value. Look for a label. I think you plan on 10 pounds of salt for each regen. That corresponds to 3.3 gallons of water for refill. With BLFC Button=0.50 gpm, you would want 6.6 ( BD=7) minutes, or 13.2 minutes (BF=13) with a 0.25 gpm button.

Just some comments. I have not gone through everything. I am just an amateur.

Thanks for your feedback!! If I understand correctly, 1 gallon of water = 3 lbs of salt brine? I'm trying to get my salt usage as low as possible, to operate as efficiently as possible. The 17,280 was based on Gary's web site - 2160 grains of hardness per day (for 3 people, 12 grain hardness, 60 gallons / day), or 17,280 per week.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback!! If I understand correctly, 1 gallon of water = 3 lbs of salt brine?
1 gallon of water injected disolves about 3 pounds of salt. That would result in about 8.3 +3 = 11.3 pounds of brine. But that number is not discussed normally.
I'm trying to get my salt usage as low as possible, to operate as efficiently as possible. The 17,280 was based on Gary's web site - 2160 grains of hardness per day (for 3 people, 12 grain hardness, 60 gallons / day), or 17,280 per week.
Got you. I think that would be used to compute an average regeneration every 32000/2160=14.8 days before taking SF into account. Thus DO should be made larger. I don't know what a good upper limit would be. Maybe somebody will say that DO=30 is too long. The measured usage would usually determine regeneration time in that case.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
3 people *60 gals/person/day = 180 *12 grains = 2160 grains per day *8 days between regenerations = 17280 rounded to 18K. 18,000/3333 grains per lb salt efficiency= 5.4 lbs rounded to 6 lbs total, not per cuft. 18,000/12= 1500 gals - 180 gals for a one day reserve = a meter setting of 1320 gallons. 1320/180 = an on average regeneration every 7.3 days. I'd calendar override for 8 or 9 days.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Resin manufacturers suggest weekly regeneration for residential softeners due to invisible sediment buildup on or in the resin beads. It also prevents channeling with small gpm flow rates. It also allows high salt efficiency settings.

And if you are going away, unplug the softener and shut off the main water valve to the house. If you will be gone for more than a couple days, do a manual regeneration the night before. When you get back turn on the water, plug in the power cable, check the time of day setting is correct and do a manual regeneration that night. Doing these things will cause your softener will love you and most will work service free for many years.

opto_isolator

Reaction score
3 people *60 gals/person/day = 180 *12 grains = 2160 grains per day *8 days between regenerations = 17280 rounded to 18K. 18,000/3333 grains per lb salt efficiency= 5.4 lbs rounded to 6 lbs total, not per cuft. 18,000/12= 1500 gals - 180 gals for a one day reserve = a meter setting of 1320 gallons. 1320/180 = an on average regeneration every 7.3 days. I'd calendar override for 8 or 9 days.

Thanks Gary - I've reviewed what I had originally listed, and made some minor changes (changed the sizing to 24k for example, based on what you show above). I've also highlighted in red what I am not sure about - are the backwash, brine draw, etc times impacted by the amount of salt that's used?

DF: GAL
VT: St2b
CT: Fd
C: 24k
H: 12
RS: SF
SF: 20
DO: 8
RT: 2:00AM
B1: 10
BD: 60
B2: 5
RR: 10
BF: 4 (assuming 6 lbs of total salt with a BLFC of .5 gpm)
FM: t1.2

Reach4

Reaction score

Would this be a reasonable extrapolation of your table at the bottom of http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm ?
huge1.png

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The chart is an example, people should do the math and use 3333 grains/lb to find their salt dose lbs based on the K of capacity they need for the regeneration schedule they need/want, which in my opinion should be every 7-9 days, unless they have over 3 ppm of iron and won't run some Iron Out through the softener every 4-6 weeks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks