Recommended height of bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Leticia Worrell

Reaction score
I am about to fit a bathroom vanity unit with a sink which is set in a work surface

Can anyone tell me if there is a recommended height to adjust the unit too

regards Leticia

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Bathrooms are going to 36" countertops in many homes. 32" used to be the norm.
We rough the waste from the wall at about 14" below the counter height.
So a 36" counter for a bathroom would be 22" or lower

We rough the 36" kitchen counter sink waste at 16" from the floor now if someone is going with a deep sink and a disposer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trend, at least in the USA, is to make the sink height closer to a kitchen counter verses the more typical height used for a bathroom. But, this very much depends on the people that will be using it...if both children and adults, you'd probably not want it that high. In the USA, a standard kitchen counter height is 36" (which I find too low). 32" vanities are fairly common. It really depends on what you want...there is no right or wrong answer here. If you're doing a wall-hung, you have total flexibility, if you're putting it in a cabinet (vanity), then you're 'stuck' with what's available where you live which may be different than what's available in the USA.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most ready made cabinets and vanities are 31". The top, marble, tile or granite would be extra.

Custom cabinets vary. Lebron James probably has taller cabinets.

I was visiting China, and I noticed that std cabinets are shorter than 31-32".

Leticia Worrell

Reaction score
Bathrooms are going to 36" countertops in many homes. 32" used to be the norm.
We rough the waste from the wall at about 14" below the counter height.
So a 36" counter for a bathroom would be 22" or lower

We rough the 36" kitchen counter sink waste at 16" from the floor now if someone is going with a deep sink and a disposer.

Thanks Terry for your suggestion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks