• Manufacture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • system

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

dsimmons55

Reaction score
I am replacing a fly by night set up of 10 yrs old system. I need recommendations for system such as 48,000 or higher system, resin type? Last test from city was 28.3 total hardness. I am looking at a Flex 56000SXT with PUROLITE SST60 (SALT SAVING TECHNOLOGY) RESIN, but will the 10% cross linked work as well? I also have a whole house (big blue) carbon filter. Shipped with resin pre loaded or not? 48,000 or 64,000 system? Digital or mechanical?

Bannerman

Reaction score
  • What size diameter plumbing is your home equipped with?
  • How many residents?
  • High flow fixtures? (hot tub, multi or rain-head showers, etc?)
  • Has a hardness test been conducted at your actual location? A municipal report will at best indicate the average hardness throughout the system from all sources, but that may not be the hardness experienced at your location. A Hach 5B Total Hardness Test kit is recommended.
  • Self-install or hired?

FYI, a BB with a carbon cartridge is not an effective whole-home carbon filter. There is too little carbon contained in most cartridges. Consider a backwashing carbon system that will be similar in size to the water softener you are considering.

Last edited:

dsimmons55

Reaction score
  • What size diameter plumbing is your home equipped with?
  • How many residents?
  • High flow fixtures? (hot tub, multi or rain-head showers, etc?)
  • Has a hardness test been conducted at your actual location? A municipal report will at best indicate the average hardness throughout the system from all sources, but that may not be the hardness experienced at your location. A Hach 5B Total Hardness Test kit is recommended.
  • Self-install or hired?
FYI, a BB with a carbon cartridge is not an effective whole-home carbon filter. There is too little carbon contained in most cartridges. Consider a backwashing carbon system that will bee similar in size to the water softener you are considering.

I have 1/2 in pex line feeding it.
two residents and a jacuzzi tub plus two shower heads in the master bath.
Hardness is alwyas been around 25 and hiring a plumber to install my purchase.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, a BB filter with carbon is a joke for whole house applications. A properly sized whole house backwashing carbon system is the right way to do it. Please post a picture of your old system and installation. You have 1/2" pex for the whole house?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks