Recommendations for Tub Surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

jibit3

Reaction score
Any recommendations for direct to studs Tub Surrounds?
Quality? Value? Etc.

I have been to the box store and found only a few choices.
Any where else I should look?

Thank you again for all your wisdom and knowledge!

jibit3

Reaction score
Thanks Terry
Have the tub. Just need the surround.
Apologies if I wan't clear.

I've heard good things about Sterling.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most surrounds require some sort of backing to get back even with the drywall that is already on the walls in other places.
When I was doing more of that, I liked getting the custom poured marble products that I would glue onto greenboard. I would order the solid surface to cover where I had cut out the old tile. That way I didn't need any drywall work or painting. I would spend just a little more for a custom order, and then stick it to the greenboard, and the job was complete and done, and so nice. :)

rex-tub-20.jpg

Designers Marble did the tub surround here.

lindquist_02.jpg

What they saw when I was ready for them to install the wall panels. It turned out very nice.

Last edited:

jibit3

Reaction score
Oh wow! That's really nice work Terry!
That seems like a much better idea then using a three piece PVC tub surround. I'm really glad you shared your work with me. I don't know much about marble/granite products, but this seems like a better value all around.

01) When you guys say "poured marble" or "Onyx", are you refering to "Engineered Marble, Granite, & Onyx"?
I had to google some to gain a better understanding. I'd like to get my wording straight before heading into a marble/granite shop.

02) What is the general material cost for just the poured marble/granite tub surround?
I'll be honest in saying I would like the best value. I'd be looking for something close to porcelain white, but maybe not porcelain material, to match the glossy white tub.

03) Do the box stores special order items like this?

Thank you both again!
I truly appreciate the advice and thanks again for sharing your work.

Last edited:

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
Onyx is a solid surface material that will last a lifetime. Think Corian. Its basically the same product. Cultured Marble is cheaper and softer. Think 1990s, it was the rage then for tub surrounds and countertops. Its still in use today, but more common as bathroom countertop. Main drawl back to it is its color will fade over time and its clear coat will crack and need repair down the line. For tub surround I'd say Onyx would be twice the cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks