Recommendations for NG indoor tankless in studio apartment?

Users who are viewing this thread

aktartt

Reaction score
I own a tiny studio apartment (400 sq. ft.) with only a shower (no tub), lavatory, and kitchen sink (no dishwasher) needing hot water. An old Bosch Aquastar 125 from the late 1980s has worked great until now but is starting to act up (needs parts that are no longer available). To give myself time to select a good replacement, I'd like some recommendations. Only a single tenant rents the place at any one time, so it would be unusual if two devices needed hot water simultaneously.

The Aquastar (37lbs., 27" X 17") is wall-mounted in the upper part of a pantry. Although the manual calls for a 3/4" gas line, the plumber who installed it seems to have modified the fittings to accommodate the existing 1/2" gas line. (Water lines are 1/2" which is what the Aquastar called for, so no problem there.) There is attic access to a larger gas line (either 3/4" or 1"--I can't tell) running up behind the wall from the kitchen stove and over to the gas wall furnace, and the 1/2" line supplying the tankless appears to branch off this main line and drop down into the pantry.

I'm willing to spend the money to have this line replaced with 3/4" pipe, per the specs of the new models. The problem is that most of the indoor tankless units on the market seem to be condensing, and since the apartment is on a slab and not near an exterior wall or other plumbing, there is no easy way to run a condensate drain.

So can anyone recommend a brand and model of non-condensing indoor NG tankless with a small footprint that would work in this situation? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you were to use a condensate pump, given that it can go up/down, etc., is there somewhere you could run a flexible line to drain a condensing one?

aktartt

Reaction score
If you were to use a condensate pump, given that it can go up/down, etc., is there somewhere you could run a flexible line to drain a condensing one?
I don't know. It's something the plumber would have to figure out. Thank you for the idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks