Recommendation on water softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by Jeff Jones, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones New Member

I am completely new to the water softener world and looking for recommendations.

I live in the Kansas City area if anyone is familiar with the water here....
    I am on city water, no problem with any sediment in the water that I see, just hard water.
    My home is approximately 2300 sqft
    3 bathrooms, 1 with double sink, shower, and bath. 2 baths with single sink and shower/bath combination
    4 people - 2 adults and 2 children.

I have spoken with someone at U.S Water about the Fleck 5600sxt and the Aquatrol 56se (the latter recommended) with the 20GPM rating.

I am also looking for recommendations on the correct home filter to use. I was told a 4.5x20 5 micron filter.

I want to be sure i am purchasing the right unit and if there are more reliable units out there, i would like recommendations since this is my first unit. I read on another site about Clack being something highly recommended as well. Either way, all recommendations to help me make the right decision are very welcome.

Also, i hope to be able to set this up myself if possible vs having to call a plumber but will if necessary.

2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Avoid the house brand stuff, original Fleck or Clack only. The newer valves are much better but are not available for online sales.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dbmet

dbmet New Member

I had the same questions. All the tanks on the websites look the same. Which websites are better to order from.

5. ditttohead

Most of the online companies are "questionable" but I will send you a pm. I don't like calling out companies in an open forum.

6. Matt Peiris

Matt Peiris New Member

It will help to know the level of hardness in your water. A hardness titration test will assist in choosing the correct resin tank size and also needed to estimate the amount of salt needed per month.

4.5x20" Big blue whole house filters will work to remove chlorine, but they limit the flow rates available to you. For example your 20gpm flow from softener will be throttled down to 5 gpm. These cartridge type filters also need to be replaced every 3-6 months. A backwash filter filled with charcoal installed as a post filter downstream of the softener, is a better choice and will also last several years without needing maintenance.

7. ditttohead

We usually recommend placing the GAC backwashing systems ahead of the softeners. Carbon is an extremely durable, high capacity media that is cheap to replace. Resin is susceptible to chlorine damage so removing the chlorine ahead of the softener is the preferred method. Putting GAC after a softener is not common but some companies do it so as to mitigate the off taste that new resin can sometimes impart.

8. kurizma

kurizma New Member

hi ditttohead, can you send me recos on online sites as well? I'm looking to purchase a fleck and self intsall.
    thanks

9. dooray8484

dooray8484 New Member

Hello ditttohead,
    I am looking to purchase a fleck 58xx as well.
    Could you please provide information where I can purchase it?

Regards,