Recommendation for single speed pump

Users who are viewing this thread

stretch23

Reaction score
Hi Valveman,

I've been studying the forums and you now have me sold on the idea of a single speed submersible well pump with a CSV valve. Our driller provided us with a Grundfos 15SQE07180 without any discussion about options or features. That pump has since disappeared? (going on two years since the well was cased but never completed) and since I need to replace it any way I'm looking at going single-speed. I'm wondering if I can depend on the driller's estimate of our flow and pressure requirements and find a suitable replacement. As I understand, the Grundfos delivers 15 gpm, 3/4 hp, 220v, 3" diameter. Our line will run about 200 feet, the static level of the well is 10 feet, infiltration is between 65-85 feet, over 100 gpm refresh rate, and the point of delivery is downhill such that it is lower than the well itself. 15 gpm seems like it will cover all our domestic needs including a yard-sized sprinkler system. What would you recommend for a pump? It seems the more I read, the more criticism I find of name brand suppliers like Grundfos and Flotek. I'm at a loss.

thanks
Steve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A regular constant speed, 15 GPM, ¾ HP submersible pump, can give you as much as 18 GPM at 50 PSI. A Cycle Stop Valve will turn that standard, single speed pump into a variable flow pump that will give you 18 GPM if you need it, and will deliver as little as 1 GPM when that is all you are using. The CSV can work with a very small tank as well. We recommend a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank like the one that comes with the Pside-Kick kit,

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would never, ever install a FloTek pump or tank!

Grundfos pumps are great, but I have reservations about Grundfos motors. We have put in a ton of Franklin pumps and motors with very few problems or failures.

Valveman, that's a clean installation, does the CSV have a stainless body? Who left off the Romex connector?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I’ve got an “82†model Grundfos motor still working everyday. But I know they have made a lot of changes since then. I think the motto for all pump companies is, if it works, change it.

Yeah the CSV1A is 304 Stainless Steel, with two ½†and one ¾†extra ports to put the pressure switch and stuff. There is even a SS pressure relief valve on the backside that you can’t see from this angle. Guess I need to put a couple of cord grip connectors in the kit. The hard part is adding it to the installation instructions. I already made a couple of changes to the instructions and got in trouble for having to add four little stickers to all those booklets. :(

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I should have said that the newer Grundfos motors may be problematic. I really liked the old Grundfos 3 wire boxes with the slide off cover.

stretch23

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm trying to choose a pump now and am looking at a Red Lion 12gpm 3/4 hp and a Betta Flow 10 gpm 3/4 hp, both 2-wire but Betta Flo has SS discharge and check valve. Advice? or alternatives?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A non-corrosive discharge head (SS, brass, plastic) is better than cast iron. Other than that it is six of one or a half dozen of the other as far as I am concerned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks