Recommendation for shower valve kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for a good but not too pricey shower valve trim and control kit (valve, shower head, rail and wand). I like the look and quality of the American Standard's DXV product line but that's coming in at over $1200. Anything comparable but less expensive? Any brands or product lines to avoid?
Any insights are appreciated.
TIA

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
BUY Delta with integral stops

r10000-with-stops.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbers prefer Delta simple and easy to fix. Get the R10000 rough valve and there are many trim lots to go with it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just to clarify, is the rough-in valve already installed? If so, you can't change brands as the trim is specific to a rough-in. If it isn't, you have lots of choices. Brand choices is somewhat like what is your favorite color. Delta is readily available, has a good warranty, but they are not alone. Personally, I've had good luck with Grohe, but they've been bought out, so am not sure if that may have changed anything.

Suggested retail prices are the most you should ever have to pay for the parts...they are often available at a fairly decent discount, but many plumbers won't warranty parts they don't supply, so for them to buy it and add their warranty, you may pay closer to retail. But, if the rough-in is already there, installing the cartridge and trim is mostly a bolt on operation...many people can do this themselves with simple, common tools.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I also think that Delta would be a good choice.
Kohler and Hansgrohe are also good.

All these decades I have been in the plumbing profession I have never ,ever heard the "Bold look" mention quality

When I c contacted Kohler 20 years ago about their Rialto toilets Douglas valve allowing water to flow thought it the guy from Kohler asked if someone could hear us on the phone? I said no why and he stated to use epoxy instead of the gasket they have . I then asked how does the next guy service it and he said by then it wont be your problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the Delta valve, also Grohe, Hansgrohe, Kohler, Moen.. all make valves that can use a wide array of finishes.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks all.
This is a new installation.
Question, for a separate shower head and wand, does that need two shower valves or is that somehow done with a single valve?
Edit: Got it, it's the R22000 valve

Edit: any recommendations for online sources?

delta-multichoice-diverter.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Question, for a separate shower head and wand, does that need two shower valves or is that somehow done with a single valve?
Edit: Got it, it's the R22000 valve

That is the simplest way to do it. You can use a separate R10000 valve and a R11000 diverter. But the R22000 is the simplest way. Be very aware and follow the instructions for using only 2 of the ports. Capping off just the correct port is very important.

Edit: any recommendations for online sources?
I buy a lot from Build.com and Wayfair.com. I have established sales reps with both.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Thanks all, now all I need to do is stick a crowbar in the wallet and realize these things cost a few more shekels than I thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks