Recommendation for electric tankless for single bath with 2.5gpm shower?

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by eoren1, Jan 14, 2019.

1. eoren1

eoren1 New Member

We have a house in Massachusetts and are running out of hot water when my two kids and wife take showers/baths in series at night.

We use a Lochinvar Knight boiler and have a 52 gallon indirect Squire tank and have baseboard heat throughout.

We put in an addition that holds the master bathroom (and a washing machine) and have room in the crawlspace (5' high) below with easy access to pex tubing. No gas piped in there so I'm looking for an electric tankless water heater that can manage to keep up with a 2.5gpm shower head or fill a 40 gallon tub and, when needed, run an LG high efficiency side loading washing machine.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. eoren1

eoren1 New Member

Nevermind - had someone do the math for me in another subforum and it looks like an electric is a no-go for my situation.

Mods - please feel free to delete this thread.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    If you're still around, if you don't have one, install a tempering valve on the indirect, and raise its storage temperature, assuming the tank allows it. My tank's specs say 140-degrees max, but some can go higher. If you're running it at say 120-degrees, and bump it up, it functions like a larger tank. The tempering valve provides an upper limit on the outlet temperature to keep things safe and within code limits. A decent indirect is quite well insulated, so your standby losses don't go up much, and if the tank is in heated space, that standby loss is still heating the area, so it's not lost during the heating season.

5. Dana

Dana In the trades

Friends don't let friends install tankless electric water heaters anywhere outside the tropics! :)

They are serious electric-grid abusive under-performers at New England type incoming water temps, maybe not so bad for showering if your incoming water is 80F instead of 35-40F. Even at Florida or south Texas wintertime incoming water temps the instantaneous power draw needed is enough to degrade power quality on the local grid as they turn on & off.