Recommendation for a good manual PVC pipe cutter (up to 2" pipe)

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I need a PVC pipe (sch 40) cutter for pipes up to 2" diameter. Something manually operated and well built. Can anyone recommend a product?

I have a handheld PVC cutter now (like ratcheting scissors) that works okay for pipe up to 1". The kind sold at the big box stores. Like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Ratcheting-PVC-Cutter-T012-X/202351847 The blade seems to dull quickly and it won't easily cut "old" pipe (it tends to squeeze the pipe rather than cut it). But it works fine for 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" pipe that is new.

I've used a hacksaw and a sawzall for the bigger pipe, but I never seem to get a straight cut with either.

So, before I go to HD and get something off the shelf, is there a "brand/model" that works better and you can recommend - or are you guys just using the big box store brand?

I'm looking at buying this http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Ratchet-Action-Plastic-Pipe-and-Tubing-Cutter-30088/202826756

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you want a straight cut?

I use my rigid pipe cutter that I normally use for copper pipes. Actually most tube cutters will do the job (make sure PVC is listed on the package).

MKS

Reaction score
Probably not the most efficient and I don't cut pvc alot but I like using a Irwin dovetail saw. Cuts on the pull. But square will take practice.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be doing some re-plumbing on my pool pipes at the heater and filter area. So I need straight cuts, and I'll be working in a ditch/hole. I didn't know a copper pipe cutter worked on PVC too. However my copper cutter won't go to 2" so I need something new.

I think the Ridgid brand cutter I linked to looks like a good choice (I've been searching the Internet for similar tools and haven't found anything better ). It's not cheap (at $95) but if it is a quality built tool and does a good job, I don't mind paying the money.

Reach4

Reaction score
I bought a new classic style Superior Tool 02802 2 inch pipe cutter with a cutting wheel and two rollers. Not good on PVC. On 1/2 inch PVC it pinches the pipe making the diameter reduce, making a groove, long before the actual cutting starts. I ended up using a saw. I would think that a similar pipe cutter for PVC should have a less blunt cutter than one made for cutting galvanized.
02802.jpg

DaveHo

Reaction score
Do you have any tools which use the Milwaukee M12 battery system? If so, since you are already spending almost a $100 on the cutter you linked, pick up a Milwaukee 2470-21 PVC shear. They can be had for about $130 if you shop around. It rocks.

Stuff

Reaction score
As a DIY guy I've got a cheap (Cal-Hawk) version of that 2" ratchet cutter. It might be my technique but most cuts don't come out square. And on old PVC it wants to squash before cutting and requires a lot more force.

Asktom

Reaction score
Ridged and Reed make wheels for PVC that fit their cutters (and clones). The problem with a wheel cutter on plastic is it tends to roll up the plastic at the spot of the cut. If you don't file a bevel on the end of the pipe it tends to push the cement down the socket of the fitting and you can get a lousy joint. This is especially true of larger sizes. You might be better off taping a piece of copier paper (or =) around the pipe so you can see where square is and cutting it with a saw meant for plastic. This will leave burrs but they can be easily scraped off, I use a plate strap.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.
I don't think I have the room for a miter saw in the trench.
I have a Sawsall but I never get straight-square cuts with it on PVC in the field, so I'm looking for a new tool. Something that will work in tight spaces.

Attachments

• pool_0033.JPG.JPG
    pool_0033.JPG.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 382
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks