recirculation? or separate point of use. >75 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
The Rinnai tankless will be more than 75 feet from the kitchen. (DW heats it's own water)

1. instead of running a recirculation loop, and keeping that line warm, could I just run cold and use a separate, point of use heater, under the cabinet?

2. and is 1/2" pex fine for that distance for sufficient flow.

thanks a lot!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical sink faucet is flow restricted, and a 1/2" pex should be able to supply more volume than it can flow. At that distance, you will see some dynamic (water flowing) pressure drop. One calculator I tried said that on a 75' run of 1/2" pex with no couplings, the pressure drop at 2.5gpm (higher than the spec allows for a faucet but a little) was 7 psi. With a 3/4" run, the pressure drop changed to 1.4 psi...so, it would be better if you ran that in 3/4", but 1/2" would still probably work for you, depending on the normal water pressure in the house.

Matt Rademacher

Reaction score
Great info...
I'll choose the 3/4 since we have a tank on the hill and have only decent pressure.
I'll use the rest of the 3/4 to serve the tub, but since everything else is less than half that distance, I'll go with 1/2.
Thanks!

And, the more I think about it, I'll bring just cold the 75' and install a point of use heater at the kitchen sink...

A typical sink faucet is flow restricted, and a 1/2" pex should be able to supply more volume than it can flow. At that distance, you will see some dynamic (water flowing) pressure drop. One calculator I tried said that on a 75' run of 1/2" pex with no couplings, the pressure drop at 2.5gpm (higher than the spec allows for a faucet but a little) was 7 psi. With a 3/4" run, the pressure drop changed to 1.4 psi...so, it would be better if you ran that in 3/4", but 1/2" would still probably work for you, depending on the normal water pressure in the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks