Recirculation Loop Design Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Aberrant

Reaction score
Trying to determine the best design for my 2 story re-pipe. I'd like to design with a recirculation loop in mind. I'm using a trunk/branch system using 1" pex for the trunk lines and branching off 1/2" pex to fixtures. I have a 1" trunk off the main trunk that runs to the second floor to serve 2 bathrooms and a washing machine. Does that line need to be a continuous loop that runs up and loops back down to the main trunk in order for a recirculation pump to work best/most efficiently? Would it be fine to leave it as a dead end branch and just loop back to the water heater at the end of the main trunk line? Attaching two rough sketches showing my thinking.

Design A:
test2.png

Design B:
test.png

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I’m not a plumber but I would lean towards A. You are likely to have a lot of water in that 1” pipe up to the second floor. It would take some time to get hot water if only using a single lav. B would be better than nothing though.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes A is better, but at some point it can slim down. It doesn't need to be 1"the whole way. The other option is to run a recirc back down to the water heater from the second floor and one from the end. You balance the flow with a balancing valve where the two lines meet back up at the water heater.

Insulate, insulate, insulate. You lose a lot of heat through these lines if there's no insulation it's many times worse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks