Recirculating water heater takes 15+ secs to get hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

BetaNavien

Reaction score
We went through a major remodel where a lot of walls came down, plumbing was redone in multiple locations, new PEX was run almost everywhere. We asked for recirculation for instant hot water and have a recirculating water heater Navian npe-240a2.

Shower is about 30 feet from the water heater and takes about 15-20 secs to get hot when recirculation mode is on (I set the timer to on, and I hear the water heater turn on in that window and running). To me this sounds like we do not have a recirculating line. Plumber said this behavior was expected. I tried to ask him for clarification on how the recirculating line was installed and a diagram, but could not get a clear understanding. He explained that the recirculating line installed to the furthest point (kitchen), and also mentioned you cannot branch from the recirculating line, so it sounded like all hot water still had to originate from location of water heater. To me it sounds like recirculating line is a loop that warms up water to be pushed to the rest of the house when we turn on a fixture. I would actually say the kitchen and the shower in question are both just as far from water heater, in a triangle, and other bathrooms are closer to the line between the kitchen and water heater.

Questions:
1. Is this how a proper recirculating line works, taking tens of seconds to heat?
2. Anyone know what questions I can ask to GC or plumber to get clarification? GC is looking for final payment so I'm trying to understand if this is normal.
3. Was there a way to run lines to make sure everything was minimal delay for hot water when walls were down?

Thanks so much in advance!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
was the entire house repiped? does the hot water main line leave the heater and have no long branches off the main. the individual branches dont get circulated with hot water. With enough material and labor it can be repiped with pretty much instant hot water 5 seconds. also for a real good circulating system you need a dedicated return line. not a "comfort system" with under the sink valve, which can be a good compromise but in no way is the caddilac of hot water recirculation.
1 maybe
2 yes ask contractor what type of system was installed
3 Yes there is a way it can be very expensive depending how the home is layed out not a few hundred bucks
No Idea what you agreed on or if the system is working correctly or which type system was installed

BetaNavien

Reaction score
was the entire house repiped? does the hot water main line leave the heater and have no long branches off the main. the individual branches dont get circulated with hot water. With enough material and labor it can be repiped with pretty much instant hot water 5 seconds. also for a real good circulating system you need a dedicated return line. not a "comfort system" with under the sink valve, which can be a good compromise but in no way is the caddilac of hot water recirculation.
1 maybe
2 yes ask contractor what type of system was installed
3 Yes there is a way it can be very expensive depending how the home is layed out not a few hundred bucks
No Idea what you agreed on or if the system is working correctly or which type system was installed
Thanks Jeff!

Yes, the house was repiped from underground pipes to PEX in attic.
We asked for a recirculating line for instant hot water; I didn't realize there are different setups to get clarification.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff!

Yes, the house was repiped from underground pipes to PEX in attic.
We asked for a recirculating line for instant hot water; I didn't realize there are different setups to get clarification.
Well Im sorry to hear its not performing as expected need to talk to the contractor .
I hope I conveyed well that long runs off the main wont be circulated and if the hot water leaves water heater and splits in differant directions it takes thinking on running the pipe as only one might be staying hot .

Reach4

Reaction score
Recirculation does not always run all of the time. For some, there is a timer. For some there is motion sensor in the bathroom. For some, there is a button to press maybe a minute in advance.

As Jeff said, ask. You may be able to get it changed to the way you would prefer, but that may cost more installation money. Running continuously may not cost installation money, but could take more energy.

BetaNavien

Reaction score
Recirculation does not always run all of the time. For some, there is a timer. For some there is motion sensor in the bathroom. For some, there is a button to press maybe a minute in advance.

As Jeff said, ask. You may be able to get it changed to the way you would prefer, but that may cost more installation money. Running continuously may not cost installation money, but could take more energy.
Thanks for the response! Probably wasn't clear, but I am speaking to the case when recirculation (timer) is on, and it takes 15+ secs to reach shower.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like your shower wasn't included in the recirc design. I'm guessing the other fixtures have instant hot water.

I designed my houses. When you operate any fixture with one hand by the time you take your hand from the faucet handle and put it under the water it's hot.

By the way you CAN run multiple recirc lines. Either in one long loop or with balancing valves.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like your shower wasn't included in the recirc design. I'm guessing the other fixtures have instant hot water.

I designed my houses. When you operate any fixture with one hand by the time you take your hand from the faucet handle and put it under the water it's hot.

By the way you CAN run multiple recirc lines. Either in one long loop or with balancing valves.
Yep it doesn't necessarily have to be a single loop you can design with 2 or more return lines that tie together and have a method of balancing.
Like John says his systems work because he builds them that way . it can be a lot more work than just going from farthest fixture back to the tank. The Plumber, General Contractor and client need to be on same page otherwise you wind up with a system that's too expensive or one that doesn't cater to the wants of the client

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks