Recirculating pump - Noise in pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

mds

Reaction score
I have a recirculating pump in my two story house. My master bathroom is at the other end of the house from the hot water heater. There is a noise emanating from the attic above the master bathroom
that is a mechanical noise (e.g. consistent pace) that happens daily, but especially in the middle of the night and sometimes after using hot water. Recently we had a power outage and as soon as the power turned back on, the clicking noise returned. It seems to have something to do with the recirculating pump (or the piping system over the Master), but I don't know what would make this noise. It is 3 years old and has been an ongoing problem (probably even increasing in frequency). Does anyone have any thoughts on how to diagnose and/or fix the problem?
Thanks,
MDS

pmoe

Reaction score
FWIW, I just installed a Laing Autocirc1 and also noticed a noise emanating from my walls afterwards. I'm curious to know what is going on.

mds

Reaction score
What does an air scoop do and where would it be? Would it be at the water heater or elsewhere in the piping for the recirculating pump?

Thanks,
MDS

mds

Reaction score
When you say "check valve" - what valve? At which location? Sorry, but I don't know much about this.
Thanks,
MDS

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should not need an air scoop in a potable water system.

Somewhere in the loop, you need a check valve. It could be built into the pump, or other controls, and may not be a separate installation.

mds

Reaction score
What does the check valve do? How would that impact on the noise that I described?
Thanks,
MDS

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
My question to you all, Is the water piping Copper, Pex, or CPVC. Pex and CPVC will expand and contract on the hot lines and if strapped tight against studs it will make a noise like water dripping or the clicking noise you hear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks