Recirculating pump installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

naykitop

Reaction score
I'm in LA County, California. I'd like to replace the recirculating pump on my water heater. I have a dedicated return line already in place. Do I need to have a valve on each side of the pump? Currently I do not, but a plumber I called in to do the job wants to charge me an extra $500 to install two valves and claims it's required to bring it to code.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The system does need a check valve to work properly, but I'm not aware of any need for actual shutoffs with its use...but, I'm not a plumber, or in LA, which may have its own unique requirements. It does make it much easier to service if you can isolate it verses having to drain the system. but I cannot see how it would cost that much to install them unless you have a poorly piped installation now.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only valve, other than the check valve, you should need/have is one between the pump and the heater so you can throttle the flow to avoid cavitation and erosion at the elbows in the system.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call or visit your bldg dept to verify, and if they say yes, call a different plumber.
A valve will make it easier to work on the pump, whenever necessary though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks