Recirculating Hot Water Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade Johnson

Wjohn2000
Reaction score
First time posting here. I've spent quite a while searching through the forums for an answer, but haven't found exactly what I need.

I am considering installing a recirculation pump to reduce the time and waste it currently requires to get hot water to the fixtures farthest from water heater. I do not have a dedicated return line to the water heater, so i'm looking at on of the "in-line" units with the timer and sensor valve. Similar to this http://a.co/ibgPDRr

My question is this: If the pump is off, say middle of the night, and I open the hot water faucet at the fixture where the sensor valve is installed, what happens?

I'm assuming nothing happens because the sensor valve is diverting the initial volume of cold water (the amount sitting in the pipes between the heater and the fixture that would normally be sent down the drain while I wait for the hot to arrive) back to the tank via the cold supply line. If this is the case, isn't the hot side of that fixture essentially inoperable because the sensor valve is closed to that particular faucet (hot side)?

See attached image for reference.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Recirculation Pump.png
    Recirculation Pump.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 229

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typically (don't know specifically on that one), there's a checkvalve in that cross-over unit, so since water can't flow back on that line, it would only pull water on the hot side. Otherwise, it would be pulling cold as well as hot when you tried to draw water at the faucet.

The one that I have is made by RedyTemp. Going on 13-years now, still going strong. Mine is installed underneath the vanity furthest from the WH. I extended the electrical and put a receptacle in the vanity for it. If you have a source of power, it is self-contained and installs in a few minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks